• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report TOW Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzatte

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished5.jpg

I finally got a target that doesn't embarrass me, shot with the Track of the Wolf fusil de chasse above. Target 10-02-22.jpg
The target was shot off-hand at 50 yards. It won't win any awards, I know. But I'm satisfied. The two wide shots were made as I was figuring out where to put the sight. I'm not sure if the drop on this gun is representative of the originals. There isn't much drop at all. And that has been the most difficult thing for me to adjust to. From previous experience, I've learned that patching the ball, using a .580" ball and a .020" patch will yield tighter groups. The idea here was to see how well I could do with a bare ball load.

Good for you! It takes some patience to figure out a good load. Yours is looking good 👍🏻
Thanks. I've wanted to find two loads that would work; a traditional load using wads of some sort, and just under bore size ball, and a competitive load using a patched ball like a rifle. I think I've found such at last.

Does a fusil normally have more drop than that? Beautiful fusil
I don't know. Having only limited experience with them, all I can say is that of the two that I own, the TOW French fusil has less drop than the Caywood Wilson model I own. My hunch is that my fusil de chasse is a reasonable copy of the originals, which were made to a similar, but scaled down pattern of the Tulle fusil grenadier, a military musket. At least in the photos and drawings I've seen the stock architecture looks identical. This makes sense as a cost saving measure during the 18th century.

The Northwest guns I have seen don't seem to have much drop, either. All of which were reproductions as well.

Thanks for the compliment.

My centermark fusil de chasse seems to like .600 ball with a 0.010 patch and 90gr swiss 2F.

They're finicky but mighty fun.
Finicky is right! I've tried powder charges as high as 3 drams, and found the recoil objectionable when shot off hand. However from a solid rest, the groups were quite good. I even tried Duelist54's load (110 gr. FFg) and couldn't stand more than two shots. Oof!

View attachment 165880
I finally got a target that doesn't embarrass me, shot with the Track of the Wolf fusil de chasse above. View attachment 165881
The target was shot off-hand at 50 yards. It won't win any awards, I know. But I'm satisfied. The two wide shots were made as I was figuring out where to put the sight. I'm not sure if the drop on this gun is representative of the originals. There isn't much drop at all. And that has been the most difficult thing for me to adjust to. From previous experience, I've learned that patching the ball, using a .580" ball and a .020" patch will yield tighter groups. The idea here was to see how well I could do with a bare ball load.

Nice printing on your target paper.
I am a very amateur calligrapher.

Finicky is right! I've tried powder charges as high as 3 drams, and found the recoil objectionable when shot off hand. However from a solid rest, the groups were quite good. I even tried Duelist54's load (110 gr. FFg) and couldn't stand more than two shots. Oof!
I'm not sure what it is but I find the style of fusils very comfortable to shoot even at high charges.

How do you find shooting off a bench in terms of POI? I tried it but my groups and POI completely changed. I wouldn't have thought it but I hit closer to where I want offhand.

I'm not sure what it is but I find the style of fusils very comfortable to shoot even at high charges.

How do you find shooting off a bench in terms of POI? I tried it but my groups and POI completely changed. I wouldn't have thought it but I hit closer to where I want offhand.
No matter the charge, no matter whether shot from a rest, or off hand, I have to hold at 6:00. I shot this target off hand aiming below the deer's belly, using 3 dr. of 2fg. OK group, I guess, but boy, it sure did rock me.
Target 8-21-22.jpg

Google calculates a dram weighs 27.3438 grains. But I don't think that many places to the right of the decimal point matters much because it's such a miniscule amount of powder. And I probably spill that much pouring the powder down the barrel.:D

Last edited:
Yeah, once. I used a pretty textbook load of 2¼ dr. FFg, a leather wad, 7/8 oz of #8, topped with tow. At 25 yds, the pattern was pretty dense in the center, and about the size of my palm.

I just realized I never took a photo of that target. I guess I'll have to repeat the experiment & document it.

Latest posts

Back