• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Report...Pedersoli Frontier .50 cal@50 yds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahkapi'si

Frontier .50
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful day in southwest Alberta. Temps in the low 30's, with a 25 mph light breeze. Had the range to myself as usual. Shooting my Frontier off hand at 50 yds. I changed out the rear sight last week to a Skinner ladder sight. I know not correct for the period or rifle, but I was really struggling with the factory sight and I am used to shooting this type of rear sight out to 100+ yds. It's very familiar for me.
Took me a couple of shots to get it figured out today, but after that I started to feel better. The flyer near the top was me accidently brushing against the trigger after I set the rear trigger. It is way too light for me. I am missing the first knuckle of my trigger finger thanks to an ornery mama cow, a rope and my saddle horn years ago so light touch is very difficult for me. So I need to read up and adjust that trigger so it requires at least a little pull. I'm sure you guys have experience doing that. Anyhow, a dozen or so lead balls sent on their merry way today, and dry patched a couple of times during the whole shoot. No misfires, easy loading, and easy cleaning with bottled water at room temperature when I got home. Saw some grey/black water dump out the barrel but not a whole lot. Dried with hair dryer, then hooked up the little plastic tube that screws into the nipple hole and pump a syringe of alcohol through the whole thing until it ran out the muzzle. Dried again, oiled checked with light....all looks good.
I know some will say to sight in from a bench rest or such, but I am not one for sitting and shooting. Just not me. I prefer to learn the guns shooting them as they were meant to be shot. Just my opinion only. To each his own. Hope you enjoyed the little report. Shoot safe & often! RR Jan 2021.jpg

The trigger can be adjusted to be what you want it to be.
That's some very good shooting.
I enjoy my Frontier and it is one of the most accurate guns in my collection.
PLUS - it's very good looking and super easy to shoot - everything about it is enjoyable.
Congrats on a fine rifle and and a marvelous first outing with it.

Bench shooting is to establish the actual capability of the gun. Shooting offhand puts your skill into the equation. To say one isn’t as it was meant to be done isn’t quite correct. The ODG shot from rests as well as offhand.

Bench shooting is to establish the actual capability of the gun. Shooting offhand puts your skill into the equation. To say one isn’t as it was meant to be done isn’t quite correct. The ODG shot from rests as well as offhand.
IDk Dave - that's some pretty darn good shootin' - I don't think he needs a rest to know that the gun is shooting PDG.
He says he does not shoot from a bench, and since he shoots a group that he likes, and I like it too - then there is NOTHING about that that says "incorrect".
Heck, I'm happy with a group like that from a bench!

Understood, it just bothers my back sitting and shooting from a rest so I just started shooting off hand years ago. Shoot lots from 1 knee too.

IDk Dave - that's some pretty darn good shootin' - I don't think he needs a rest to know that the gun is shooting PDG.
He says he does not shoot from a bench, and since he shoots a group that he likes, and I like it too - then there is NOTHING about that that says "incorrect".
Heck, I'm happy with a group like that from a bench!
Never said it’s not good shooting. Just that to insinuate that the ODG didn’t bench shoot is not correct. Look through the history of muzzleloading and bpcr and there are tons of examples of supported shooting. But back to the group, offhand is where the wheat gets sorted from the chaff.

....it just bothers my back sitting and shooting from a rest...

Ranch, nice shooting. The sight change certainly works for you.

Just a comment that one doesn't have to be sitting to shoot from a solid rest for some load workup to see what a rifle is capable of. I hear ya on the back pain. Sitting at a bench has me sore for days.

Good shooting. For load development, I shoot from a bench to find the most accurate and consistent load. Once I have the particulars for that rifle figured out and have settled on a load, then it’s free hand from there to make sure I can shoot it to the same POA. If I don’t, I know something is wrong and it’s probably me. I never get to take a bench with me while hunting, unless there is the rare chance there is a tree right there to brace from.

Yep, Great shooting! I have a 50 cal. Hatfield from which I believe the Frontier was designed. Once you get the set trigger where you want it, turn the trigger guard up a put a drop of removable thread lock on the set screw. That’ll keep it where you want it.

Back