• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RANGE FINDER?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass this along. When sighting in, be it ML or Archery, I like to be as accurate as possible. Using my fairly new Range Finder, I set my target up at 25 yards. Then on a whim, I decided to use a tape measure just to make sure. Found out that even though the RF said 25 yards, it was actually 46 yards; 4 yards short. I then tried it at different distances out to 50 yards. Still the same; 4 yards short. So, maybe check yours if you use one. You may think you are sighting in @ 50 yards but maybe you are not.

Just wanted to pass this along. When sighting in, be it ML or Archery, I like to be as accurate as possible. Using my fairly new Range Finder, I set my target up at 25 yards. Then on a whim, I decided to use a tape measure just to make sure. Found out that even though the RF said 25 yards, it was actually 46 yards; 4 yards short. I then tried it at different distances out to 50 yards. Still the same; 4 yards short. So, maybe check yours if you use one. You may think you are sighting in @ 50 yards but maybe you are not.

Excuse me for nitpicking, but if rangefinder says 25 yards, and tape measure says 46 yards, how is the difference 4 yards? My old-fashioned math tells me the difference is 21 yards.

Excuse me for nitpicking, but if rangefinder says 25 yards, and tape measure says 46 yards, how is the difference 4 yards? My old-fashioned math tells me the difference is 21 yards.
Exactly! Confused the heck out of me as well lol. Maybe his range finder is correct and hes reading the tape measure wrong

Dibbuk, I think I gave 2 examples
OPPS, sorry I plugged in the wrong number. I meant to say that my range finder always shows that it is 4 yards short no matter what the distance. So even though it shows 25 yards, it is actually 21 yards. as you pointed out. Thanks.

What? You’ve never heard of Common Core Math?

I run two different range finders one is a Nikon and the other a SIG both are right on the money,are you sure you have the finder properly set up, might be a problem with the electronics, if you cannot get it properly working I would send it back to the manfacturer for a re-placement.

I just go by the shooting stations at our club. The first one is close to 25 yards. I don't think it's exact. The second one is 50 or thereabouts. I sight in at these distances, and estimate same when afield. I don't think micrometer accuracy is going to yield much.

Maybe not so much at hunting distances with a muzzleloader, but it is a game changer when using a un-mentionable at 400-600 yards when hunting antelope out west.

This is true, it was a statement too show the uses of a range finder, perhaps not in particular too a muzzleloader but can definetly see the benefits of one too a bow hunter. Also as the originator posted (too be as accurate as possible), I like and enjoy the traditional aspects as offered in muzzleloading and hunting with them and also enjoy the aspects of hunting,target shooting,competition with the other weapons. For some the use of a range finder is a importat issue with ethical shooting.

I was taught to pace out the field of fire and set markers in various places to designate range. Come hunt time I will pick my area and tie a piece of ribbon on a stick or tree branch at 25, 50 and 75 yards. (I don't shoot past 75 yards due to old eyes) the strips of ribbon tape also serve to show which way the wind is blowing and can give you an idea of how strong the winds are. Now a range finder does seem like a nice gizmo to have. I can see the allure.

I use a range finder all the time. Every shot I take is with a range finder. My sights are calibrated with the range finder so when I set the sight for 73 yards I set it for as close as I can. If the shot is 236 yards I set the sight and hold dead on. I have three range finders. They vary from 100 dollar to several hundred dollars. For most muzzleloader ranges they all give a pretty close yardage. This video is a Review of all three.

If you have the rangefinder in angle compensation mode or bow mode it will give a different reading. Also some have a class A, B, C (or similar) that relates to velocity. You have to set the closest one to get the right results.

I have to wonder if the rangefinder in question has problems with measuring short ranges and is much more accurate from 100yd out.

Latest posts

Back