• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range boxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another nice box and "thinking out of the box" indeed! Look forward to see what you come up with this winter, I like the mirrror
Thank you for sharing!!

Another nice looking and functional box. Is there anything that you would change given the opportunity for another?
Not really. Heck, after all these years I have come to appreciate it. The size is not too big nor too small. Although you cannot quite see it, there is a large, open section under the top pull out one. I also like the sturdy wood handle which serves as a support to hold up the lid when open. That offers another surface to place items while shooting. Odd that I have not seen others like it even though I know the rifle stock company had several of them available.

Built several of these for my brother and i. 12x12x6. Front door drops to give you a 12x12 working flat surface and can attach your gun range rack with a clamp. Two drawers, one each for flint stuff other for percussion. Two storage sections, both hold two cans of powder and other items. Top has a tray for short starters, powder can caps, shoting glasses and ear protection, etc. Ie stuff you need regularly at the range 20190903_083800.jpg 20190903_083556.jpg . Pull the tray out and you have a storage area for those once in a while range tools.

Attachments

• 20190903_083722.jpg
    20190903_083722.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190903_083611.jpg
    20190903_083611.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 104
Another good example of making it work for you. I think it is very interesting to see the different variations of the boxes. I enjoy threads of this sort to gather information and the pictures with the stories behind them. Hopefully others as well are getting something out of it. As i have said before and will continue to say is thanks to everyone who has contributed pictures and information about their boxes and hope the trend continues.

My BP box, not fancy but practical for me. I do like the previous box with the rifle rack. Might have to work on that design.
MikeW
BP BOX - 1.JPG
B.JPG
BP BOX - 3.JPG

Agree, the rifle rack with a pistol rack is what I'm working in on mine. What are the measurements of the box?
Thank you for sharing Mike!

This has been a helpful thread, and I liked Khulb's focus: "Another good example of making it work for you."

I don't have a satisfactory range box yet, The ammo cans or Craftsman nylon tools bags I've been using are just too small. Been pondering what to get or build.

Everybody's photos have been great, and reminded me that I have a "deco" wood box already built, which serves only as a "look-at-me" item in the family room. I got it as a freebie holiday gift in Dec 2018 from Henry Repeating Arms company president, when I provided some information to him re. a rifle issue the company was working on. It is their wood checkerbox.

wood range box_3019.JPG

Aside. I like to play checkers, and chess, too. But living alone, no one to take on here. And friends/visitors who come over just wouldn't come to play a board game.

The box is made from pine. Dimensions are: 12.5" H x 12" W x 18.5" L So I'm looking at how to make it work as my next "project." Handles are very nice, smooth/rounded cuts in each side wall. Need to replace the hinges on the lid and add a lid latch of some type. The lid just "flops" open as it is attached by two rectangular rings, somewhat like a key chain. And the lid moves from side-to-side. An usual design; can't figure what was behind it. Also there are no compartment dividers inside, just a plain-Jane box. Thinking to elim the company logo stuff, probably leave the checkerboard design on lid. Someone at the range after a shoot just might want to play a game or two.;)

Appreciate all the visual ideas and thread comments.
wiksmo aka Bob

Another good example of making it work for you. I think it is very interesting to see the different variations of the boxes. I enjoy threads of this sort to gather information and the pictures with the stories behind them. Hopefully others as well are getting something out of it. As i have said before and will continue to say is thanks to everyone who has contributed pictures and information about their boxes and hope the trend continues.

I use one of Plano's large 3-tray tackle boxes and it has held up for 3 decades! Yes, it is FULL of stuff for BPML shooting. I do, however, use most of the stuff, sooner or later. He who dies with the most toys wins, right?

Amen brother, that's what I keep telling my wife. Don't think she understands though, at least not yet. When she fires her new, new to her, 1862 Uberti Colt Sherrifs 36 cal pistol she'll get hooked I am sure.

Agree, the rifle rack with a pistol rack is what I'm working in on mine. What are the measurements of the box?
Thank you for sharing Mike!
9" front to back, 16" long & 10" high.
The top is 2" deep, the lift out shelf is 7 3/4 X 11 1/4 X 3" deep and sits on side pieces 3 1/2" high

Thanks Mike for the measurements.
Bob, that will make a great box.
You may want to think in terms of a shoulder strap to carry it?

By gummy! It even has a mirror in it so you can make sure your hair isn't mussed up. :D

Of course for many of our members, they gave up worrying about their hair a long time ago. I think it was just after their last 5 hairs started falling out. :eek::D:D

That’s my shootin over the shoulder mirror! Ain’t got no hair to muss up!

Back