• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Range Box - Colonial Style. Ideas sought.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sartana

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am thinking of building a box I can carry my assorted supplies in and take to the shooting range. I would like to craft something that has a Colonial era vibe about it. Does anyone have some pictures of their set up? I am guessing the key parts would be the assorted hardware pieces. Would love to see some others boxes that capture this style.

If using a clear finish, then things like period dovetails, if painted, use a period color. Use pegs or period nails, forged hardware - look at some period chests, boxes, etc for ideas. Be interesting to see what you come up with.

Range boxes don't show up in colonial inventories. Tool boxes might be repurposed for using at the range.

Boxes of the colonial era will have hand cut dovetails, some fairly wide. Native woods would be used such as maple or walnut with poplar or pine being the internal woods for drawers.

Look in the Craftsman forum for pictures of Range Boxes in the "Show Us Your Range Boxes" topic.

Painted furniture is perfectly period. (Many a valuable original has been ruined by stripping and staining.) Pine and poplar would be perfectly acceptable and economical, and look great for a working man's box.

Excellent advise. To state the obvious, avoid Phillips head screws and anodized brass hinges or similar, snap latches, or anything else that screams modern. Stay as simple as possible, with the understanding that skilled woodworking was the norm in the period, even on a simple box. Google ‘Colonial era woodworking’ or similar for ideas. Sounds like a fun project. I’d love to see a thread dedicated to your project.

Page 33 in Neumann's Early American Antique Country Furnishings shows some examples of colonial period trunks that could be downsized to meet one's needs. Hardware too...

Keep it simple , a 'six board box' style with maybe hand forged 'snipe' hinges; I'd build it out of 1x12 pine with a flat top. That way you can use it for camping and sit on it, etc. Paint it with some nice, nasty 'milk paint' and if you like German styling, do some Frakture designs. I am just shooting in the dark here. Good luck with your box!

A sliding top and a removable tray are a big help. Also a heavy duty leather strap to carry it. Remember, that box is going to be full of lead and steel and brass and will be heavy. You don't want something that has to be carried with two hands. You want to be able to carry the gun and box in one trip.

D3AEF6E4-BB85-46D9-9C11-17CF7A10190C.jpeg

I am thinking of building a box I can carry my assorted supplies in and take to the shooting range. I would like to craft something that has a Colonial era vibe about it. Does anyone have some pictures of their set up? I am guessing the key parts would be the assorted hardware pieces. Would love to see some others boxes that capture this style.
I started a thread called "show us your range box" a while back. Some great pictures of box's there!
Neil

For a short cut, you could get an unfinished, round-top chest from a craft supply shop, finish it w/ BLO or something similarly period. Replace/ cove the screws w/dowels. If metal work isn't in you skill set, make the hinges, handles, & latch from leather.

I am thinking of building a box I can carry my assorted supplies in and take to the shooting range. I would like to craft something that has a Colonial era vibe about it. Does anyone have some pictures of their set up? I am guessing there key parts would be the assorted hardware pieces. Would love to see some others boxes that capture this style.

I built one of these early 1800's "school boxes" as practice at handcutting dovetails. I may adapt it the dimensions and make a rangebox.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0jujUQKVhLIInGGzmBmi1F[/URL]

Jake

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200802-180259_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200802-180259_Chrome.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 77
All awesome-looking pieces of furniture-grade craftmanship! Back when I was a kid, Dad & I went to visit Pachmayr in LA. Dad measured their popular pistol range box & made one from English walnut grown on our property. It was a beautiful box & I have it today. The only drawback was ... it's really HEAVY.
Weight is a problem with range boxes, since the bigger the box, the more junk you're gonna load into it.
I amassed a collection of old insulated zipper lunchbags over the years, and use them today. I have one for cap & ball revolver, one for flint rifle, another for percussion rifle, another for smothbore, and even one for .45-70 Trapdoor. Each one contains only what is needed for the particular shooting I'll be doing that day & I can haul along several bags as needed - they pack well into tight space behind my truck seat, and I can bring them out one at a time as needed for use.

Leather hinges & closure/latch, a leather or braided rope carry strap, and covering screws w/ short dowels as false pegs could adapt a plain modern "craft"box.

Latest posts

Back