• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Backstop/lead recovery/bullet trap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMan

Blunderbuss
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my range off of my front porch. 50 yards is on up in the woods. I use those stick in the ground election sights to hang targets from at 25 and 50 yards. I was thinking about building some sort of box to hang targets off of that will catch the roundballs and minies. Thought about hanging a couple pieces of heavy mining belt or something similar. I don’t want anything that could ricochet. Once I’m done shooting I can collect the lead off of the ground and drop them in the melting pot. Anyone ever tried anything like this? Not sure the mining belt would stop the balls or not.

Attachments

• 66AFB715-F2BC-442A-ABC8-D5D2AB6D6E8E.jpeg
    66AFB715-F2BC-442A-ABC8-D5D2AB6D6E8E.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 67
Box made of 2x8 or bigger, plywood front and back. Fill with sand. When the plywood is shot out, take the sand, sift and put back in new target box. Make new balls and Minies from recovered lead

One of those square 5 gallon buckets. Cut out the front and line with innertube material. Fill with sand.

You could use a piece of steel plate at a low angle to deflect the bullets in to a sand pit. That looks like flat ground, you really should have a backstop. Kick up a berm with a dozer or a back hoe?

You could use a piece of steel plate at a low angle to deflect the bullets in to a sand pit. That looks like flat ground, you really should have a backstop. Kick up a berm with a dozer or a back hoe?
Found a nice piece of steel today and gonna do exactly that. Going to build a box and incorporate the steel plate and sand together into it.

I used to have two cereal boxes that I sat back to back and both filled completely with sand. If one didn’t stop the lead round ball the other one would. I know there are other ways, such as filling up with rubber, the old metal door screen folded multiple times ect...

Back