• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Random fliers...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brit,
Neither of the loads I mentioned have to be hammered down the bore if they are lined properly. In my humble opinion "historically correct" has little to do with accurate shooting. We are not fighting Indians and need to load loose or bare balls.

Brit,
Neither of the loads I mentioned have to be hammered down the bore if they are lined properly. In my humble opinion "historically correct" has little to do with accurate shooting. We are not fighting Indians and need to load loose or bare balls.
I dont believe it is necessary for accurate shooting to have to hammer a ball even with a short starter. I never found it necessary with a rifle or smoothbore.
Another one is folks bouncing the rammer off a seated ball, why 🤷‍♂️.
I also dont get this large grained powder and just use a little of it.
My 45 worked best when 70gn of 3f was exploded behind a soft lead ball. Recovered balls had obviously obturated against and into the patch and rifling. No need to struggle, let the powder and rifle do the work for you.

Back