• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rancid Mink’s Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a tin of a mink’s oil from Track of the Wolf and am wondering if it will ever go rancid and musty? Have had it for about a year and it does seem to smell a little bit from when I bought it new, but I could be imagining things.

Thougts?

But.... your not cooking in it.
Fats don’t ‘go bad’ in terms of becoming poisonous, but do get a nasty taste or smell.
At the most you get a bit of a smell from your lube when you shoot. It’s not likely to be overpowering. And it should not effect your shooting. I would get rid of it via my bore.

I have several tins that over 10 yrs. old. They might smell weird, but they work just fine.

I also have Mink Oil that is several years old and have observed no difference in consistency or performance. Haven’t noticed a difference in odor, but I have a lousy sense of smell.

I have a very acute sense of smell. I have one tin of mink oil I believe to be a year old. It is unchanged from brand new, a very mild smell. Common sense would say that it will go bad eventually. I would guess letting it bake in the car would do less favors than having it stored in a cool container. I keep mine in an ammo can.

Have a few cans here in North Carolina that have be ‘re-liquified’ a couple times in the summertime heat. When not using tend to toss them in the adult beverage refrigerator. Have not noticed any funky odors. Some may be 10 years old.

The mink oil I have is a few years old and I can't smell much if any difference in it from when it was new. A more sensitive nostril might, however.

Ok... it isn't really important, but inquiring minds want to know: how the heck did you wind up with several tins of mink oil over 10 years old? Was there a fire sale? Did you inherit them? :oops:
I suppose I'm a bit confused by the question. I bought them from Track of the Wolf years ago when I had run out and decided to stock up. Since then I've only used it sparingly (for hunting or cold weather) as I usually just shoot spit for shooting at marks.

Dumb question here. I see mink oil referenced frequently on here. Is it specifically a patch lube or is the same stuff used to water proof leather?

Dumb question here. I see mink oil referenced frequently on here. Is it specifically a patch lube or is the same stuff used to water proof leather?

Mink oil, as referred to here is real mink oil. Rendered fat from a mink. Besides making it yourself, the most common place to buy it is Track of the Wolf.

"Mink oil" that is for boots, is not mink oil. I'm not sure there is any mink oil in it at all. It is some kind of chemical concoction.

Back