• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrods for full stocked flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had a bunch of ramrod discussions lately. If the OP checks in again, maybe he could just use the Search box to find information on his topic.

On the other hand, we're always happy to discuss ramrods again, or lube, stuck balls, compressing versus not compressing the caliper jaws in measuring patch thickness.... and so on.

Notchy Bob

What I am afraid of is that @larrylbowyer will consider that our comments are rather rude and be turned away from the Forum. Really, we want to answer the questions he has about ramrods.

Yes, a full stocked Flint lock rifle should have a ramrod. The material should be straight grained hickory. For convenience, it can be tapered for ease of entry into the thimbles. Is should be the length of bore from muzzle to breech and it may extend past the muzzle. There should be tips on the ramrod and the tips should be pinned through the rod to secure the tip on the ramrod. The tip should be threaded for the cleaning and loading jag. Wooden jags can break but breakage is limited when only pushing the rod a short distance (six to eight inches) as the patched ball is loaded or while cleaning.

Post #15 is a winner!

Maybe OP wants to buy one? You have to make your own. Buy straight grained hickory, shipping is the same for one or a dozen. Plane, scrape, sand it down till it fits all the way in.
Cross-pin brass or steel ends of your caliber.

Now I hear Beethoven too
….back to my stuck ball…..

Last edited:
A longrifle does need an underbarrel wood ram rod. For all my shooting I mostly use the underbarrel for loading and sometimes for cleaning.

"It’s 11:59 on Radio Free America; this is Uncle Sam, with music, and the truth until dawn. Right now I’ve got a few words for some of our brothers and sisters in the occupied zone: “The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall“, “John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache”. It’s twelve o’clock, America, another day closer to victory. And for all of you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song." (the Battle Hymn of the Republic begins to play)

;)

Back