• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrods for full stocked flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"It’s 11:59 on Radio Free America; this is Uncle Sam, with music, and the truth until dawn. Right now I’ve got a few words for some of our brothers and sisters in the occupied zone: “The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall“, “John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache”. It’s twelve o’clock, America, another day closer to victory. And for all of you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song." (the Battle Hymn of the Republic begins to play)

;)

I about lost my coffee on that one, well done. Hats off to those who listened to that station and survived to joke about it today.

On the subject if ramrods, why hickory? Does oak also work? Just curious why hickory is always called out.

I about lost my coffee on that one, well done. Hats off to those who listened to that station and survived to joke about it today.

On the subject if ramrods, why hickory? Does oak also work? Just curious why hickory is always called out.
I made a ram rod from an oak dowel I got from Lowes , that had good grain and was straight as an arrow. No issues yet.

Straight grained hickory is very flexible, compared to oak, and is less likely to break if flexed.

Oak is one heck if a lot more brittle. For strength and “springiness” stick with hickory as the top choice for all handles on striking tools.

I made several from straight grain oak and they are good rods. Most RR problems are probably related to how they are used. You could probably make a serviceable RR out of close grain doug fir if it had no runout.

Not suggesting that! Just trying to shed light from a different angle. 😀

"It’s 11:59 on Radio Free America; this is Uncle Sam, with music, and the truth until dawn. Right now I’ve got a few words for some of our brothers and sisters in the occupied zone: “The chair is against the wall, the chair is against the wall“, “John has a long mustache, John has a long mustache”. It’s twelve o’clock, America, another day closer to victory. And for all of you out there, on, or behind the line, this is your song." (the Battle Hymn of the Republic begins to play)

;)
Red Dawn !!! Took me a minute to remember !!

;)
Piss in the radiator

Back