• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod won’t fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintlock62

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, so I got a new brass ramrod from October country for my new gun, it’s a 3/8 inch diameter ramrod same length and doesn’t go all the way down. It sticks out about two-three inches. The only thing I can think about is that the wooden one that came with the rifle is a little rounded. Any thoughts about what to do to get it to fit? thanks. Don

Often rr holes in the stock are drilled out with the hole tapering smaller at the end. This is why shooters sometimes have to taper the wood rods to go easily in the stock hole and pull out easily. And yes you should compare the length of the wood rod and the brass one. I do not like underbarrel rods made of anything other than wood. Brass rods make good cleaning rods, however.

They match perfectly the only thing is the rounded wooden ramrod. I was thinking about rounding the brass one or trying to drill out hole some

They match perfectly the only thing is the rounded wooden ramrod. I was thinking about rounding the brass one or trying to drill out hole some
There is obviously a difference in diameter size. Use a micrometer or dial calipers to compare. You need to decide which way to go. Drilling is way more of a chore than to dress the brass rod down. A good bastard file on the last three inches and then polish off with some emery will get the job done.
Flintlocklar

Sometimes the forward lock screw interferes with the ramrod
I'm thinking that maybe the squared off end of the brass rod is catching an edge somewhere inside the forearm that the rounded end of the wooden rod "glides" over.....

Agree with both... and I think it's hitting the screw, or a metal pin. If the rod was snagging on wood I'd expect it not to halt, but to sorta get awfully tight and stop, and then be tough to get it loose and remove it.

You could mark the rod at the muzzle when it stops on the obstruction. THEN remove the rod and lay it along side the stock, with the mark even with the muzzle, and see if that's = to the forward lock bolt, or to a pin in the stock.

LD

A 3/8" brass rod in a 3/8" hole will be a tight fit. The slightest runout might bind it. Like when the drill was pulled back to clear the chips then reinserted.

Hello all, so I got a new brass ramrod from October country for my new gun, it’s a 3/8 inch diameter ramrod same length and doesn’t go all the way down. It sticks out about two-three inches. The only thing I can think about is that the wooden one that came with the rifle is a little rounded. Any thoughts about what to do to get it to fit? thanks. Don
I have cleaned up, and refurbished a lot of muzzle loaders. For some annoying reason a lot of the ramrods hang up in the hole after I put the gun back together.Granted they fit before I took them apart!First thing to try is round off the end of the ramrod,that goes in the gun first.A lot off the times the rod is hitting the wedge tenon and wont slide by.Also try tapering down the first 3or 4 inches of the rod.Like someone else said 3/8 brass will be a tight fit,and a lot of times the hole up by the lock is tight anyway.I think sometimes crud gets built up in there.Modify the rod, not the gun.Good luck.

It may be hanging up on the main spring if that busts in to the RR channel. Several of my builds do that. In that case chamfering the end of the RR may help, or you might have to give the front of the mainspring a slight chamfer too. Just go really slowly when you are filing on springs, because removed metal weakens them.

It seems like pretty much ALL RR's without some kind or retaining catch wind up coming forward slightly on recoil. Apart from the above, the only other ones that don't are the ones you really struggle to get out in the first place.

What make and model do you have?

I also ordered a brass rod from October Country but it hasn't arrived. I ordered it for the Pedersoli Frontier rifle. The diameter of the OEM rod is 9mm or .3543 inches.

So that made the 3/8" (.375) to big. So I ordered one in 5/16 (.3125). That makes the brass rod about .0418 inches smaller.

The 3/8" brass rod would be .0207‬ inches larger.

Here's hoping my brass rod isn't too loose!

It’s a semi custom flintlock from TVM. 62 caliber Leman full stock. 36 inch barrel....
You can see a picture of it in my new flintlock post! It’s a beautiful rifle

I got my brass ramrod from October Country. It is 5/16" diameter. Recall that the factory ramrod for the Pedersoli Frontier is 9mm. The 5/16 is a little smaller than 9mm.

I ordered 10-32 threaded ends. They sent me 8-32 ends. Oh well, I can still use it.

It fits perfectly, except that, due to the weight it can slip out of the channel if I shake it enough. Anyway, it makes a great range and cleaning rod.

It doesn't cost too much so I ordered a hickory ramrod from TOW.

Back