• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod stuck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a nice custom percussion fullstock rifle I bought from Oregon a year ago. When I got it, hickory ramrod would withdraw from stock perfectly, not tight, not loose. Today, after a year in humid Louisiana, rod is stuck tight as a drum in the stock. I have pulled on the brass end with pliers, still won't budge. Guess the rod swelled up in the stock. Assuming I can get it loose someday, how to prevent again? Sand it down more, coat it with something, or ???

You can build a drying box, and put an incandescent light in it for a mild heat source. Run this in an air conditioned space where the air is dry already. Cardboard works fine or a wood box if you might use it again, just make sure you can't start a fire or burn your stock with the light bulb. One of the old style drop lights with the cage around the bulb will help keep the heat out of direct contact with things it shouldn't touch. Punch a couple small vent holes in the top of one end, a couple small intake holes on the bottom of the opposite end where the light bulb is. You will get some convection movement through the box. When it has dried a bit the ramrod will come out. I would clean out or make sure the ramrod hole in the stock is clean, split a dowel and use some sandpaper to sand the inside of the ramrod hole a bit, I would use 150-180 grit and chucking the dowel in a drill motor makes it super easy. Seal the ramrod hole in the stock and seal the ramrod well after sanding to a nice fit, shouldn't happen again. You can wax the hole and the ramrod periodically also to prevent moisture intake and swelling.

Just my thought, belt and suspenders, I would seal any open wood on the stock while doing this also.

Does the lock have two side bolts? Many times, the forward lock bolt impinges on the ramrod hole, and binds on the rod. If the lock has two bolts, try removing the forward bolt and see if that releases your ramrod.

If that is the problem, you can either taper the distal end of the ramrod (my preference), or file a little “half moon” in the bolt where it contacts the rod.

Even if the lock bolt isn’t the problem, it sounds like you may need to sand off a little of the ramrod’s diameter. Or make a new one. I would still taper it slightly on the distal end.

Please let us know how the situation shakes out. The rest of us might learn something from your experience.

Notchy Bob

I have a nice custom percussion fullstock rifle I bought from Oregon a year ago. When I got it, hickory ramrod would withdraw from stock perfectly, not tight, not loose. Today, after a year in humid Louisiana, rod is stuck tight as a drum in the stock. I have pulled on the brass end with pliers, still won't budge. Guess the rod swelled up in the stock. Assuming I can get it loose someday, how to prevent again? Sand it down more, coat it with something, or ???
I like Notchy Bob's idea better than mine. Go for his idea first.

Pliers have proven they don't work. Time to get out the vice grips. At the risk of chewing up your brass tip, use vice grips and rotate the ramrod while withdrawing. I would first use a cushing of leather to protect the brass, if that slips, then go vicegrips right to the brass. That is what I woud do. Keep the lock screws out also. Be better if you had another person hold the rifle while you did the tugging.
Keep us posted
Larry

Last edited:
If you can find a little eyebolt with machine threads to fit the ferrule on your rod (usually 8-32 or 10/32), screw it in and pull on that rather than the rod itself. I’ve dealt with a few stuck rods, and for me, it usually works best to affix the rod to something, maybe a vise, and pull on the gun. You pull the rifle off the rod that way, rather than the rod out of the rifle. The inertia of the gun’s weight seems to help, and I have the gun in my hands and at least theoretically under my control the whole time.

You do need to be very careful and keep everything straight so you don’t stress the wood forend or pull off a thimble.

Others’ experience may vary.

Notchy Bob

If the brass end is threaded I would try a slide hammer in it if the drying didn't get it out.

I think Notchy Bob has the right suggestions. I also like to taper the rod at the end that goes into the stock so it is a barely snug fit and leave the rest to where the rod clears the thimbles. This allows it to stay in the stock better without falling out too easily.

There is no retaining spring (like on a factory halfstock). Just a hole in forearm and two thimbles. What if I left rifle in a hot truck cab in the sun for a day? Would get mighty warm in there. I know where there is a big bench vise; might clamp brass jag in that and try to jolt rifle backward and see if that works. Thanks for all advice. Anyway, it is a heavy rifle and I don't hunt with it, just target shoot, where I use a range rod. But bugs me it won't come out....

Not sure if this a good idea or not, chill it for a good while in a fridge, not a freezer, if you can fit it in one, like over nite so it gets chilled all the way through.
Then gently start warming it from the outside with a hair dryer while pulling on the RR

If you can find a little eyebolt with machine threads to fit the ferrule on your rod (usually 8-32 or 10/32), screw it in and pull on that rather than the rod itself. I’ve dealt with a few stuck rods, and for me, it usually works best to affix the rod to something, maybe a vise, and pull on the gun. You pull the rifle off the rod that way, rather than the rod out of the rifle. The inertia of the gun’s weight seems to help, and I have the gun in my hands and at least theoretically under my control the whole time.

You do need to be very careful and keep everything straight so you don’t stress the wood forend or pull off a thimble.

Others’ experience may vary.

Notchy Bob

Track of the Wolf sells wooden ball and aluminum T-shaped handles that will screw onto the end of a threaded ramrod.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/849/1
I have their T-handles for both 8-32 and 10-32 ramrod ends. I had to use one last weekend to pull a ball. I screwed the ball puller into the ball and with the T-handle installed, inverted the rifle so I could hold the handle down with my feet. A quick tug up on the rifle and the ball came right out.

The T-handles are light enough to carry in your shooting pouch, too.

SUCCESS!! thanks Morehops52 - it WAS the front triggerguard screw. The screw was directly in line with the drum, I didn't think the ramrod was that long. There was a dimple from screw tip in the last 1/8 inch of the ramrod, holding it tight. NEVER would have thought of that - but now I remember I did take TG off to check on set triggers, then put it back (with ramrod in place). I think I will turn the screw down tight, THEN put rod back and let it bottom against the screw. Thanks again! you saved me a lot of unnecessary work.

Back