• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest when the great ‘ramrod shortage’ of 2023 is over that you order yourself quantity of them. While I don’t use hickory ones at the range (think range rod) nor while hunting (too much can happen in the excitement of a quick reload) I make and have them for my guns. I order a half dozen 48” blanks at a time and keep them taped up to a straight piece of wood. I have found that unfinished free range hickory ramrods can get twisted up a bit over time. And it takes little effort to cut to length and finish one.
1677799130818.jpeg

I have also learned to have a spare ramrod packed away when hunting and always have two with me when I travel. One under the barrel, and one in the barrel. I had a one get pulled out of the gun’s thimbles by some brush or branches while on a hunt, and fortunately I had a spare in the vehicle. I was the only muzzleloader on that hunt…. And when I go on hunt in a real out of the way place, I have a three piece collapsible aluminum one with a piece of elastic through it to hold it together when in use. Short and light, though I have never needed or used it.

I have a nice straight hickory about 12 to 14 inches in diameter that needs to come down. I was only thinking of cutting it for fire wood and the smoker but now I think I will put aside a length for future use.

I went last week to buy new hardwood flooring for our dining room, I’d already decided on red birch. I was told that it was very difficult to get but eventually they located a supplier with some in stock, the sales guy mentioned that the other wood that was really hard to get right now was hickory.

if 2 delrin 3/8" and 2 hickory 3/8" and 4 5/16" in my bundle caused a shortage, boys we are sunk!

Aint it funny how those who fail to provide for themselves, often blame those who did; when those who didnt realise the need to.

Way back in the 80's I kept some select spares for my Siler Fl's, Frizzens, Springs even some screws, and of course a couple of spare Hickory Ram rods; but I doubt whether I contributed to any shortages.

Another Mans supply emergency isn't necessarily my responsibility.

Make your own.

Find a good piece of hickory out in the wild and season the wood for a year or so. Make splits from the pieces and turn them round in your lather. You’ll have the toughest hickory rod you can find for free, with the pride knowing you made it.

Depends on what you’re looking for. I don’t buy dowels, if you’re looking for dowels in hickory or Ash you’ll always have a difficult time because the mills are often backed up with other work.

I would buy a hickory, Ash or White Oak board and cut it into 1/2 - 9/16 square strips and turn out the dowels, dowel cutters are only around 50$ or you can make one from a chisel and a board.

Red Oak is commonly sold at Home Depot and Lowes, Red Oak is not ideal ramrod wood however it does work very well for larger diameter rods. I made a few these pats months for some brown Bess’s and they held up just find. It’s not great for thinner diameter rods though.

The other thing you can do is bore out 4-5 12” dowels with a 3/32 drill rod at 12”, then insert a stainless steel rod to connect all of them with each end epoxied. You can use almost any wood for this type of ramrod. With each end tips soldered to the steel rod, it’s an almost indestructible rod. You can also taper them. You’ll want to make sure the steel you use is stainless steel, not carbon steel.

Last edited:
Back