• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those suggesting ramrod of unknown wood species dowels from a hardware store. Especially those that think that these will last because they are stiffer than the hickory rods that come with guns....
First off, there is a reason hickory is used for both bow building and ramrod, it is very tough, very flexible, has a lot of elasticity.
Take a hickory ramrod blank and a hardware store dowel of equal diameter and length, clamp one end in a vice, or secure the end in a hole in a stump. Bend the top end an inch and let go, now 2 inches, then 3 inches.... keep going. Which takes a set 1st? Which breaks 1st?

You might get lucky with years of use of a random dowel,,,, but it also os most likely to fail you when you need it most, regardless of if you get hurt or not.

And, yes, it is true that if you use your rammer properly you are less likely to break it or get hurt.

Lumber is a very speculative industry. Hickory may be in short supply because many manufactures had contracts or something of the nature. Ash dowels are in good supply right now, i might look a Cincinnati’s dowel company.

A huge part of the issue is shipping, shipping rates for lumber costs has skyrocketed.

I just ordered and received a 47” hickory ramrod and the composite one (can’t remember the name) from october country last week. They also will put any end on it that they carry. I put the 10-32 on one end and 8-32 on the other. Prices were reasonable I thought

Aaaaa… I’ve actually been fortunate enough to have been able to split out a hickory to work three different ram rods.

It is not that difficult.
I used a froe to get the basic rough form then I used a spoke shave to slim down. And then a very small spoke shave to get to final shape. Then I used a stepped hole in a steel plate. I pull and push the rod through that hole and that takes the out of round spots down to round.
Making your own ram rod from a hickory stave allows you to follow the grain just perfect.
It takes about 2-3 hours per rod. After you get the stave from the tree.

Check out different archery supplies for a hickory stave. I cut a small tree. But today I would go to a bowyer supply or archery supply and get a stave.

You're right. Using
I'm pretty sure I would break the rods that came with my 3 rifles before I would break the rods I seen at the hardware store. If people are impaling their hands, they are using the rod the wrong way.
You're right. Using a ramrod properly is one key ingredient. Keeping your barrel clean between however many shots allowing for smooth loading is another. I doubt many use a wooden rod at a range or a shoot anyway. More likely a range or brass rod. I would use my rod while hunting and then be conscious of how I use it

You're right. Using

You're right. Using a ramrod properly is one key ingredient. Keeping your barrel clean between however many shots allowing for smooth loading is another. I doubt many use a wooden rod at a range or a shoot anyway. More likely a range or brass rod. I would use my rod while hunting and then be conscious of how I use it
Correct. I know I am not bending my ramrod while using it or grabbing the very end and ramming it. So the test of bending a hickory rod and unknown rod makes no sense to me. All 3 of my rifles ramrods already hold a slight bend and 2 of them are new and never used. The only time I would use my wood ramrod is while hunting. I have a polished ss range rod.

You can use the following for ramrod… ash, yew, white oak, Osage, elm and mulberry are all great alternatives, especially Yew.
Just curious: white ash or black ash? Many years ago I saw an old man hammering white ash staves to split them into narrow pieces which he used to make wooden baskets. He used black ash to form the framework for the baskets if memory serves. Lived in Kewaunee County, WI and was in his seventies at the time. I was about 12. Now I am approaching his age and he is only a memory. Pretty sure plenty of his baskets are still around though.

There are solid reasons that hickory is used for ax handles, ramrods, and the like; the grain is straight and it generally will not split. So if you got a hickory ramrod, you got a straight one that is pretty tough. That said, they can and will break, the ends will fall off of them, they can warp and the supply of hickory can sometimes get a bit thin.

For those who say that if you use it properly, a hickory ramrod won't break, then I respectfully ask why they are a commonly stocked item among suppliers of muzzleloading supplies? Also, I have had to replace many ax handles, shovel handles and ramrods over the years. It happened so often that I used to keep wedges and long rivets in stock.

Most of my ramrods are hickory, but the ones I use most are aluminum. I could maybe bend an aluminum rod by accident somehow, but it would never break and if I did bend it, I could take it out to my smithy and hammer it more or less straight again. There are also reasons they made ramrods out of iron for the civil war and others. If they'd had aluminum, they'd have used it.

Other woods certainly can be used, but hickory is the most common one in the US at least. I have a couple of T/C Patriot pistols though that do not have hickory ramrods. One is made from rosewood and the other Gabon ebony. I kind of like them, and have used them both, but don't know how they would fare if they were of rifle barrel length. I find it interesting that the ebony ramrod somehow managed to outlast a critical lock part.

Just curious: white ash or black ash? Many years ago I saw an old man hammering white ash staves to split them into narrow pieces which he used to make wooden baskets. He used black ash to form the framework for the baskets if memory serves. Lived in Kewaunee County, WI and was in his seventies at the time. I was about 12. Now I am approaching his age and he is only a memory. Pretty sure plenty of his baskets are still around though.
I think it might be the other way around?

For those suggesting ramrod of unknown wood species dowels from a hardware store. Especially those that think that these will last because they are stiffer than the hickory rods that come with guns....
First off, there is a reason hickory is used for both bow building and ramrod, it is very tough, very flexible, has a lot of elasticity.
Take a hickory ramrod blank and a hardware store dowel of equal diameter and length, clamp one end in a vice, or secure the end in a hole in a stump. Bend the top end an inch and let go, now 2 inches, then 3 inches.... keep going. Which takes a set 1st? Which breaks 1st?

You might get lucky with years of use of a random dowel,,,, but it also os most likely to fail you when you need it most, regardless of if you get hurt or not.

And, yes, it is true that if you use your rammer properly you are less likely to break it or get hurt.

If in dire straits you’re likely rich from album sales and can afford all the ramrods you want
Mark Knopfler is one of the best finger picking guitarist ever. I bet he has piles of ramrods and microwave ovens

For a simple test to scratch the itch, cut a 1" x3' straight live branch of both Ash And Hickory and put it on your knee and try to snap them. Make sure they are clear without knots. I think you'll see the difference

I got mine from Jedidiah Smith Trading company. I got both a 5/16's wood rod to replace the metal rod in my Crockett .32, and a delrin rod as a cleaning rod. I also ordered a couple of 8/32'nd size tips to add to the rods so I have a 10/32'nd on one end and an 8/32'nd on the other end because I have accessories with both thread sizes. That way I can use either size brush or jag when needed. If you do that, don't forget to drill and pin the tip to the rod so it doesn't come off inside the bore. !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Back