• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod Out Of Pieces

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've save the ends of this broken ramrod for my .32 Cherokee for many years. Figured someday I would complete the replacement rod out utilizing the ball end, as I had already affixed the threaded end sometime back with success. Yesterday was that day to finish end #2.
Using a length of a carbon fiber arrow and good epoxy, whittling down a portion of the wood of the rod to fit within the diameter of the shaft they mated together rather well. A bit of Scotchbrite pad to slick and shine and I'm ready to go shooting again.

Ramrod Ball End.jpg

Ramrod Threaded End.jpg

Ramrod Repair.jpg

I'm pleased with how it turned out and fits under the barrel just fine.
Rod Installed.jpg

Did you pin the ends?

No. I epoxied the threaded end on a few years back and it has held strong even when using a very tight patch on the jag pushing and pulling field swabs and also hot water through the barrel. When I secured the ball end no epoxy of that type was on my shelf but JB Weld is. If that doesn't hold as well as the other epoxy it will still do quite well for only pushing the balls down the barrel.
Both pieces were reduced to allow for a good length of a 'tail' to be inserted into the arrow shaft for the epoxy to hold onto.

I would add, along with Riflemans 1776 post to take care. Only grasp rod six inches or so beyond the muzzle. Ram home with short strokes. You don’t want a rod through your hand.
I would relegate this rod to a wiping stick and go with one solid straight grain hickory. But again short strokes only
And yes, a pin saves you from stuck tip. No glue will hold.

I've save the ends of this broken ramrod for my .32 Cherokee for many years. Figured someday I would complete the replacement rod out utilizing the ball end, as I had already affixed the threaded end sometime back with success. Yesterday was that day to finish end #2.
Using a length of a carbon fiber arrow and good epoxy, whittling down a portion of the wood of the rod to fit within the diameter of the shaft they mated together rather well. A bit of Scotchbrite pad to slick and shine and I'm ready to go shooting again.
Don't mean to pop your bubble, because it looks nice. Listen to Rifleman 1776 at 6:27. He is spot on!! Pin the ends! You will eventually be sorry if you don't!
Larry

I appreciate your concern about the longevity of this rod. Ramrods are the weak link of muzzleloading, either breaking or loosing. The ends were from two wood T/C Cherokee ramrods that broke along the body of the wood shaft decades ago. The brass ends were not pinned to those wood shafts from the factory, but have held up better than the wooden rod itself. I've had quite a bit of experience with carbon arrows from traditional archery pursuits. Glad to say I have had better success with this rod than I have with the small diameter wood T/C rods from the past. My cut off saw cuts the ends clean and I apply the epoxy to the rim to do my best to negate splinters. Still, as suggested, I hold the rod in two places in an effort to prevent a broken rod. That hurts. Know that from past incidents with the wood rods.

I did think about drilling and pinning the wood tails fitted/glued inside the arrow shaft, but with the nature of carbon fibers I would rather not disturb the fibers of the shaft, thinking that would be a weak point in the material. One of these days I'll fabricate a dedicated range rod for this little bore rifle, but this will get me by to make smoke at a few squirrels for the time being.

That should work for you, with care. Hickory rods can't be beat, IMO, and the worst rods are the ones that come with a new rifle. Those things will break if you look at them too hard.

A straight hickory rod with the ends pinned on makes a great rod. I would not be using a carbon arrow for anything, not even arrows.

If you dont have pins and dont want to order lengths, you can just grab a small finishing nail, cut it to size, file the rough ends, drill, pin, done.
Took me all of 15-20 minutes last time I replaced a rod. I never trust glue to hold, I don't even bother with it if the tip is well fitted and pined.

Latest posts

Back