• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod launch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During a moment of distraction I shot my Ramrod.
Wont do that again, jaw is still feeling it. .54, 90 g FFF, 42 inch barrel and hickory rod
I took a micrometer to check for bulges on the barrel as well I ran a tight patch down the barrel. My question, Is there anything else I should be looking at to make sure I have no damage?

Thanks for reading.
:) If you ain't done it at least once then ya ain't been shooting frontstuffers enough....:)

Wont do that again, jaw is still feeling it. .54, 90 g FFF, 42 inch barrel and hickory rod
I took a micrometer to check for bulges on the barrel as well I ran a tight patch down the barrel. My question, Is there anything else I should be looking at to make sure I have no damage?

Thanks for reading.
Well, don't feel to bad it's not as dumb as blowing a hole in the dirt checking to see if your vent is clear, which I have done! Hoping I can avoid the loading rod launch though as I have enough strikes against me.

Thanks for reading.
I have a few extra oak 3/8" dowels for use in my smoker to hang sausage on.
One of them will be sacrificed to the #10 God this weekend.
I just gotta see what happens...........
Dang, that one made me laugh so hard my sides hurt......

Civil war manual of arms (hardees or Gilams forget maybe both) call for soldier to place his pinky on the ramrod at the end of the loading cycle before the order to shoulder aim and fire. As a reenactor I found this odd as we never pull ramrods on the field for safety reasons. Dawned on me that during battle it must have been quite common to launch the ramrod, so if your pinky aint got something to rest on, you missed a step.

re shooting dirt......I was about 30 yds from a nice buck once. One shot loaded, no quick loads truck 100 yds away. He had no idea I was there. Pulls trigger to cock w/o sound, let trigger off and release hammer, BOOM:eek: Dang deer didnt even look up...REALLY. I found his gut pile about 50 yds from whre I last saw him the next day. Dumb hunter vs Dumb deer 0-0:confused:

Feeling much better after all these replies. Perhaps I 'll buy a second replacement, just in case.
I done it once and didn't even know it. Looked for that stupid thing for an hour at least. Just couldn't believe it, yet where else could it be.

Many, many years ago I was at the Angeles Shooting Range in southern California when another shooter launched the wooden ramrod from his T/C Hawken. He had just rammed the ball down-bore when the RSO called a cease-fire. The shooter told the RSO he had a "wet one" to discharge and received permission to fire the shot. As we were walking downrange to check the targets he mentioned to me that his shot had quite a bit more recoil than usual. It wasn't until he was preparing to load the next shot that he noticed the rod was missing. After the range closed for the day we told the RSO what had happened and asked if we could look for any remnants of the rod. The RSO said "Well, you now have something in common with Charlton Heston. He did the same thing when he came here to learn how to shoot muzzle loaders for filming 'The Mountain Men'".

As I recall we only found one or two small pieces of the rod. Hmmm.... I should probably rib him about it next time I get a chance.

Been there, done that. Kicks like a mule, don’t it?? Lol.

I shot an iron one out of my BROWNBESS and it split the stock, did not hurt the barrel and I went down range and never found the rod. chipped two teeth only damage to me, very lucky.

In 1960 I stood looking at a pasture in Sweden with my Papa, where he had immigrated to America from and he related what had happened at that spot in the 20s.
Papa had just bagged one of the big Swedish hares by shooting it with a muzzle loading shotgun and was reloading it. Down in the middle of the pasture, a badger began to cross the field and although the distance was too far, Papa took a chance shot at it.
My dad was surprised when the badger stopped moving and more surprised when he found the dead badger anchored to the field by the ramrod that he had not pulled out of the barrel.
I was told by a few of his fellow hunters that Papa was the best hunter around and I doubt the ramrod was not used that way again.

In 1960 I stood looking at a pasture in Sweden with my Papa, where he had immigrated to America from and he related what had happened at that spot in the 20s.
Papa had just bagged one of the big Swedish hares by shooting it with a muzzle loading shotgun and was reloading it. Down in the middle of the pasture, a badger began to cross the field and although the distance was too far, Papa took a chance shot at it.
My dad was surprised when the badger stopped moving and more surprised when he found the dead badger anchored to the field by the ramrod that he had not pulled out of the barrel.
I was told by a few of his fellow hunters that Papa was the best hunter around and I doubt the ramrod was not used that way again.
Thats quite an interesting story. I find also interesting is that muzzle loaders were still being used in Sweden, and perhaps elsewhere up to the 1920s. I remember my Grandfather telling us stories when he was a young fellow in Sweden hunting with a muzzle loader. I seen the gun once some years ago when my brother and I visited his sister. I wasn't to much a BP fan back then and don't remember the lock but from what my Grandfather said, on rainy days he would have a leather cover over the lock, so, I can assume that perhaps he was still hunting with a flintlock in the late 20s. They were after all a very poor family.

yes i remember Sean, he ended up as a Trade Pioneer i think just before i took my OT.
you'd never hear the end of it with him...lol

Latest posts

Back