• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod is a poor projectile

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm shooting my percussion 54 with 30g, 3f, prb when it goes thunk. Ramrod is a poor projectile. Ball traveled about 10" and locked up the ramrod. I tied the rr to the ceiling and pulled down on the rifle, rr breaks. Still have about 6" out the muzzle.

I now realize I should have lubed the barrel from the muzzle first.
Suggestions please.

Excuse me for asking, but are you saying that you loaded the muzzleloader and accidentally left the ramrod in the bore and then shot the muzzleloader? Then your ramrod was now stuck in the bore and then you tried to pull the ramrod out using a ceiling beam, then the ramrod broke off?

Just wanting to know if I'm understanding this right?

Respectfully, Cowboy :confused:

:doh:

:idunno: Maybe lube it from the muzzle and try again but pull straighter.???
Good luck.

Be sure and check that barrel real good for a bulge.

Wow! I would have thought that 30grs of fff would have pushed a tamrod out of the barrel.

Like Jethro said, lube it and try again. Maybe pour some water down the barrel and let it soak in first. GW

Exactly Cowboy.
I tied it up with 1/4" braided rope and half hitches. Pulled straight down. The hitch pulls from one side no matter.
I want to pour the best lubricant possible in the muzzle and let it work before I pull on it again.
Mean time I, will come up with a better way to grip the rr. Like a very small wire pulling tool.
With some help here, thank you fellas.

CO Elkeater said:
Exactly Cowboy.
I tied it up with 1/4" braided rope and half hitches. Pulled straight down. The hitch pulls from one side no matter.
I want to pour the best lubricant possible in the muzzle and let it work before I pull on it again.
Mean time I, will come up with a better way to grip the rr. Like a very small wire pulling tool.

Get a grease zerk and push it out with a grease gun. You will most likely need a long grease zerk. Well I did when I pushed out a stuck bullet from a buddy's gun. The grease gun will go it in a safer manner and not mess anything else up.

Have you tried one of those CO2 dischargers yet? This is a bit unorthodox, but with a flint gun you could hook a yoke from a scuba tank compressor over it and increase the pressure up to the pressure of the bank tanks. Usually most banks have several hundred cu ft in them, and are kept at around 3500+ psi. You might get a little gas leakage around the ball or vent hole, but it's pretty hard to resist that kind of pressure. Be careful where you point it too when you turn on the pressure. It's lethal with those kind of pressures, and that goes for the ricochets too.

I've been putting a little Kroil in the muzzle and letting it do it's thing. This morning I pumped grease. The grease went around the ball and rr and out the muzzle.

Now I'm thinking to put the 6" of rr in a vise and pull on rifle.

CO Elkeater said:
I've been putting a little Kroil in the muzzle and letting it do it's thing. This morning I pumped grease. The grease went around the ball and rr and out the muzzle.

Now I'm thinking to put the 6" of rr in a vise and pull on rifle.
Around the ball without moving it?... :shocked2:

CO Elkeater said:
Exactly Cowboy.
Use paracord and 2 prussic knots....one on each side with the cord looped over the rafter.

There is such a thing as a ram rod puller which might help. I would have suggested shooting it out with a sprinkle of powder... before you poured Kroil onto the breech.

CO Elkeater said:
Yes, deep groove slow twist barrel

Still don't add up!.....The patch should take up the rifling and the screw should expand the ball.....
Something is odd.... :hmm:

You're probably lucky the gun didn't fire if it was that tight...might have went klaplooey.

Clyde, no screw here. It did fire. Look at Cowboy's description.

When it fired with the rr against the ball I think a little lead went around the rr and locked it up. With the deformed ball the grease had a passage way.

Now I'm even more confused....
I can't see the gun firing and not forcing everything out the barrel... :idunno:
was it a squib load?

What brand of gun is this?

I'll be surprised if the barrel isn't buggered...

Ok I went back and re-read your post.....

I'm guessing your gun has a large patent breech.
when you fired it smashed the ramrod end forcing brass or steel to bite into the barrel.

Even if you get the ramrod out you still have the ball and grease to deal with....

If the gun is not a CVA I would un breach it.
If you don't know how find a good gunsmith or a machinist.

Latest posts

Back