• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod hole to snug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I know I could go to a smaller rod but like this one and it fits the pipes and barrel good. It goes in the stick but i have to
fidget with it. So have you ever had to open the channel some if so how?
I'm afraid to try bigger drill bit cause I can just see the stock breaking.My thought is sand paper on a rod and cordless drill.
Thanks

I know I could go to a smaller rod but like this one and it fits the pipes and barrel good. It goes in the stick but i have to
fidget with it. So have you ever had to open the channel some if so how?
I'm afraid to try bigger drill bit cause I can just see the stock breaking.My thought is sand paper on a rod and cordless drill.
Thanks
That is what I might try if I was in your shoes. I have also just sanded down the end of the ramrod thst goes in the stock leaving the rest at the size that fits the pipes.

Crow.........I've made over a hundred r/r's doing this......First , make sure the rod isn't hanging up on the front lock bolt. That ok , put the wood end of the rod in a drill chuck , and hold the rod in the left hand , and a piece of coarse sandpaper , turn on the drill motor. Before doing this , see if you can find where the bind might be ,'cause this method works fast. Ideally , remove a pipe to use as a guide to check your progress. Five min.s should take care of the bind.

Thankyou two. I got it. I found where the bind was in 2 places , had to adjust tge entry pipe and used the drill and sand paper on a rod. It's good now. Bnewberry I did taper the tip of the rod some.

Also when it’s only a bit too tight burnishing the rod by rubbing it with a piece of polished steel works nicely. Just support the rod get to it with a polished screwdriver shank. Rub with the grain with the rod supported. This compresses the wood fibers and actually strengthens the rod a bit. BJH

Back