• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod for loading in the field...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why?

Some things have been beat to death over the years and still no resolve.

Yang and yang, it goes on with no definitive resolve nor conclusion.

Like how, do I clean my gun?

Why, Oh WHY would someone shooting a 200 year old design of rifle want to use a hunk of plastic for loading? PLASTIC?!?!

Safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Safety ?
Come 'on, it's a gun. I see guys stick their heads over the muzzle all the time. I've been bloodied by percussion caps, cut by flints, cut by sights, pinched by hammers and ball starters, and hit by ricochets, burnt by powder and don't even get me started on wielding a sharp knife at the muzzle, darn near needed stiches for that one.

Plastic ? Not me, IMO safety is what you do, not what you use.

Safety comes first and foremost.

" I see guys stick their heads over the muzzle all the time. I've been bloodied by percussion caps, cut by flints, cut by sights, pinched by hammers and ball starters, and hit by ricochets, burnt by powder and don't even get me started on wielding a sharp knife at the muzzle, darn near needed stiches for that one."

Have you "ever' stopped an unsafe condition on the range and called a cease fire? If not, why, not?????????????????

Forest Gump comes to mind again.

When I worked safety was first.

When I retired, the guys who worked for me did not have an OSHA my entire time as a foreman. If it was not safe , they were not to do it.

I read here and of lot's of unsafe conditions being done all the time. No one says a durn thing about them it, much less doing anything about them.

Range rod is not necessary but is nice. I had October Country make me a brass rod for my NA Buffalo Hunter. Its a .58 cal and came with a 5/16 rod. A bit small IMO for a large caliber. It added weight to the rifle but I really can't say I notice it. It does pop loose when you load a 100 brains under a R.E.A.L. bullet however. If leaned on it I could still bend and ruin it however. Learn to use them correctly and you will be fine.

Simply, bunk.

Show me a line shooter does such and wins.
i do it, and I sometimes win: depends on who shows up. My rod has a large cupped jag which fits the bore and ball quite well. I agree that slamming a small diameter rod repeatedly onto the ball is not a good idea. just lightly dropping it to check the seat doesn't seem to bother anything.

Have you "ever' stopped an unsafe condition on the range and called a cease fire? If not, why, not?????????????????

Yes, if it's someone that I'm instructing.
No, I just walk away quickly if it's some "Jack Nowitall." They tend to get mad if you tell them.
Anyway, a ramrod is one of the safer items we deal with, as long as you use it correctly, but then that goes for just about everything.
Using a plastic ramrod for "safety reasons" is being overly and unnecessarily cautious IMO, But if that's the level of security one needs to enjoy this sport then have at it with my blessing.
Just don't lean of the muzzle trying to push that Twizzler down the barrel.

I use a 7/16 ramin rod, 48 inch length, fitted one end for screw on fittings. Drilled and pinned. Other end copper corkscrew fitted tight. There inseperable, weather range or woods. The rod umy b b bnder barrel never leaves that place. I always carry as a set. Personal preference, nothing else.

In the field or at the range I load with the tapared wood rammers my rifle and smoothbore came with and that ride in the thimbles.

I do use a longer (wood) rod when cleaning at home.

Last edited:
Long ago I found out that I can't put 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound sack. I started out buying .490 balls for my 50 cal. what a PITA to get the balls started. So I ordered a .484 mould from Jeff Tanner. There may be a slight advantage in accuracy for the tighter ball and patch, but my shooting doesn't show a difference. I haven't broken a ramrod snce going to a smaller ball. the smaller ball kills game just as dead.

FishDFly, I've called a "cease fire" both as the RSO at a range and as a participant in shooting. I think all of us have a responsibility to help maintain safety at a range for the shooters there, but also in defense of shooting sports. I will also admonish someone who is not safe in situations that may not rise to the level to require a "Cease fire." Most times it can be done without being a jerk about it.

A firearm accident at a range just adds ammunition to the folks who would deny us shooting opportunities or worse.

Not to call attention to a dangerous or potentially dangerous situation is HIGHLY irresponsible. You can walk away after attention has been brought to the issue.

For cleaning i just use a poplar dowel with a slotted end For patches and cleaning sponges or steel wool.

48 inch dowel cost me 1.99 9 years ago, never need anything else For cleaning.

Why, Oh WHY would someone shooting a 200 year old design of rifle want to use a hunk of plastic for loading? PLASTIC?!?!
sawyer04 said it: I make ram rods out of hickory splits Click on his comment and read what comes up.
That is HICKORY, which is tough So long as you pay attention to the grain.
Not oak - hard and strong. But NOT tough.
Learn something about wood, at least.

Oak works very well in smoothbore military arms for loading and cleaning. But I’m also talking about guns with bores of .67-.77, so a 5/17 or 7/16 oak dowel is pretty hefty And sturdy on its own.

For a rifle, I’ve used oak at 3/8’s for loading and cleaning For .54 calibers. Never broke one.

.50-.32 I use aluminum and brass rods for cleaning.

Something ideas to consider.

Brass ramrods can be useful, they can be blackened and don’t really need to be tipped. I’ve seen some fancy ones turned to a button head shape.

The issue with brass is the weight, a 3/8 brass rod might add some extra unwanted weight in the field.

Latest posts

Back