• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod for a Pedersoli Indian trade musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henry2357

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Would anyone know the size and what’s the best replacement ramrod for the Pedersoli trade musket. Looked through TOTW website and it’s not mentioned. If I had a measuring thingy I would measure the diameter of the original. I hear the original will break pretty quickly. Thank you. Joe

Everyone should have a precision measuring digital vernier caliper. Very acceptable ones can be bought for about $20. Harbor Freight, Midway USA and other retailers have them. There are too many uses that being without one is simply perplexing. With the digital readouts, reading the measurement is easy. Sure, you need a supply of the button batteries. But the Dollar stores can supply a blister pack of 4 batteries for $1. @Henry2357, you have no reasonable excuses not to have a digital vernier caliper.

I always use the rod that came with my Pedersoli trade gun. It’s never offered to even bend let alone break. If I’m loading tight ball loads in it I’ll just use my brass range rod but for buckshot and non-super tight roundball loads the factory rod is fine. On my range rod I just use a 58 cal jag to load with. I’d have to be really dumb or overzealous with the factory rod to break it. Don’t stress about everything you read about the Pedersoli rods. If you’re going to be muzzleloading you need a good steel/brass range rod. There will come a time you will have a stuck ball and want to try tight loads. Wood rods just aren’t good and the best of them will break if you go to pounding a ball or trying to pull one. A good range rod is more important than calipers btw.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but the OP’s question never got answered. That and I was curious myself so I broke out the calipers and measured the rod on my new Pedersoli Trade Musket. It looks like .350-.357 is the range of measurements so, 9mm? If I had been really industrious I would have tried to slip a 3/8” rod in the Musket’s thimbles but I didn’t. I think Maniac broke the rod on his Pedersoli in one of his videos, so we know it can happen to the best of us. I use a steel rod at the range but would not in the woods. I use a hand over hand loading technique with the original rod and have had no issues, yet.

Everyone should have a precision measuring digital vernier caliper. Very acceptable ones can be bought for about $20. Harbor Freight, Midway USA and other retailers have them. There are too many uses that being without one is simply perplexing. With the digital readouts, reading the measurement is easy. Sure, you need a supply of the button batteries. But the Dollar stores can supply a blister pack of 4 batteries for $1. @Henry2357, you have no reasonable excuses not to have a digital vernier caliper.
Well I'm sure he found that helpful lol

I know it is probably sacrilege, but when you are looking for a rod that won't break when you are hunting, consider the fiberglass rods that are sold by Dixie. They are cheap - like 2 for $5 or so. I know that they are not good for rifles as they are abrasive, but for hunting with my .62 fowler, it should be okay for years. If you are really worried, use a muzzle protector.

I would get a dowel in the following type, hickory, ash, holly oak, raemen or black locust.

Taper the rod from the end to the tip and tip with sheet brass and concave the end bare or you can drop a little epoxy on the tip to protect it.

I’ve only broken one rod in 15 years, and it was because i sat on it.

To get the size you buy a 7/16, remove a pipe, scrape rod till it almost fits the pipe, buff with some sand paper. You can leave the end past the front pipe swollen.
Perfect fit.

That would make a nice custom and “period correct” rod, except you would also have to open up the channel in the bottom of the stock for the “bulbous” end of the rod. Very doable, and an idea for a future project to make my Trade Musket my own.

Mine on my smooth rifle, and TFC
2A2544AA-68DF-4BC0-A92A-1B12319970AB.jpeg
6FB41240-A373-4781-BB31-491AA77FAD84.jpeg
EF9F5C74-E954-490F-9050-065138971EA1.jpeg
3D17565F-D3CA-4220-A457-F5DAB035D763.jpeg
B5F9782A-C0D2-4D5C-A07B-74A3C9CA2FA2.jpeg

Back