• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod for a model 1816 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, if it fits your original worm, then it is a 26 TPI as that was the thread size for that worm. That's great!

I used to buy those worms at the NSSA nationals when I could find them inexpensive enough. Then I re-tapped them to fit other steel rammers and particularly for repro Charleville and even Brown Bess Muskets. There was nothing on the market that was anywhere near the quality of those Original Worms! Original worms often helped me get stuck patches and other things out of bores that modern worms would not touch.

That is really super the repro rammer fits the original worm. Good for you!

Gus

I have this same rod in my repro Pedersoli 1816 and I'd like it to fit just a little tighter, I may try to add a second retaining spoon.

I added a second retaining spoon in my Pedersoli Charleville; I bought a Pedersoli rammer spring from Dixie Gun Works, cut it in half and used leaf end, I made a small semi circle lug, pinned the spring to the lug and then soldered the Lug to the lower interior of the band, this provides extra upward friction. there's just enough room in the band for the spring and lug.

Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the rammer. The only minor negative is that it is made in 2 pieces soldered together. I'd rather it be welded. But they claim it is strong and made to be used. Hopefully they used silver solder.

I picked up a couple of these original worms 10 years ago when they were maybe $6. They are indeed excellent.

They claim "for heavy handling" so we'll see.

If it's a good solder job it ain't breaking.

Or, if it breaks under normal use, they're sending me a new one.

When I re-soldered two piece steel rammers, I always used Silver Solder aka Silver Brazing. The "ring of brass" at the joint both showed it had been done and it was authentic to the period as they brazed with brass for much smaller items like sear tips, for example.

Gus

Back