• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod for .22 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on materials to use. Most things that small seem really bendy. Maybe a high carbon rod tempered to a spring with a ball end?

If it was long enough, I would buy a 3/16" diameter steel or brass rod. Mild steel would be strong enough if your using it correctly and the finish ground rods available at some hardware stores would work even better.

As you know, when loading a muzzleoader with a ramrod, the rod is grasped about 8" to 10" above the muzzle and shoved down the barrel. It is then grabbed again 8" to 10" above the muzzle and the task is repeated until the ball is seated on the powder.
Used in this fashion, there should be no chance of bending it.

I would lean toward brass too. Seems like there'd be less wear and tear on the barrel that way. I'd personally go 3/16 like Zonie said.

A .22 cal PRB is going to be fun to try and load with gloved hands in the winter time! Is this a percussion or flint gun?

I love the idea of these micro calibers, though I have no experience with anything smaller than a .31, and that is in a revolver.

I`ll be using .22 cal pellets, already hollow based with a lube groove. In a manner of speaking. Mini minnies if you will.
The barrel steel seems soft, so brass may be the way to go. The pellets load easily, the weight of a full length welding rod will push them down.
it`s flint, need almost as much powder in the pan as in the barrel. kinda featured in another thread. 5-7 gr i`m thinking will be good out to 25 yds. loading a .22 PRB would be an adventure in a Canadian winter

Back