• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod dilema

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gearing up for a new winter project and received an absolutely gorgeous early Lancaster stock the other day from Pecatonica. Its been inletted for a C profile .54 swamped barrel and I see the ramrod channel is bored for a 3/8" ramrod. All my other .54's have a 7/16" rod and I'm a little concerned the 3/8" may be a bit to wimpy for the .54 bore. What do you think? Should I open up the channel and re-bore to 7/16" or leave it as is?

I'm gearing up for a new winter project and received an absolutely gorgeous early Lancaster stock the other day from Pecatonica. Its been inletted for a C profile .54 swamped barrel and I see the ramrod channel is bored for a 3/8" ramrod. All my other .54's have a 7/16" rod and I'm a little concerned the 3/8" may be a bit to wimpy for the .54 bore. What do you think? Should I open up the channel and re-bore to 7/16" or leave it as is?
I have a blank stock 54 cal build with a 3/8" RR. Never had any issues, & is over 40 year old. Make sure to use straight grain Hickory and you are good to go.

I have three .54s, all have 3/8" ramrods, no problems. I do use a range rod for my day to day practice.

On a footnote; I just ordered 10 ramrod blanks from Dan Putz, best ramrod blanks I have ever seen. I only pulled one out of the pack so far to check it out, it may be the only ramrod blank I have ever had in my hands with perfectly straight grain running from one end to the other with no runout or grain swirls.

My ram rods in rifles with bores of 40, 50, 54, and 58 are all 3/8” and I load and sometimes clean with them. Haven’t had an issue with them yet but the 54 has been my primary rifle for target and matches for 35 years. Just grip short on the rod.

Before I switched to indestructible ramrod, I used to break them in the 54 all the time.
I have since learned that using all natural lube and cleaners (TC +1000 products)
I have not broken once since. The 54 went with the last woman I had, so its her problem now, I built a 45 cal. It loads like butta.

If the rod is tapered like period rods, you can have a wider loading end (that sticks out near the bore when in the threads and with the skinny tip threaded. 3/8" is fine. Ideally, I like 716" for the fat end tapered to 3/8" or even 5/16" depending on whether or not it cal clear that front lock bolt.

i have a 3/8 ramrod, or should i say had, in my 54 with a long barrel. it worked fine until the one time i did not pay attention and grabbed it too high, it flexed and broke, was not a fault of the calibre or ramrod thickness, it was my stupidity.
i would leave it 3/8 and if you are concerned buy an unbreakable rod for range use.
ou
tom

Latest posts

Back