• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod channel issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMan

Blunderbuss
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I built a southern mountain rifle around 20 years ago from a Pecatonica River kit. I had them cut the ramrod channel. It’s always been a target rifle so I’ve never used the ramrod. I didn’t do a very good job on the gun back then so I gave it a refurb this week using my terrible wood working skills and rebrowning everything. I had to use vise grips to remove the old ramrod (destroying it by the way) because the channel is too tight. I have a synthetic rod now I want to use because I wanna start doing some hunting with this gun. Give me an idea how to open the channel a bit using a method other than a drill lol. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Attachments

• 467B6513-F910-47BF-A619-F4E20612FC06.jpeg
    467B6513-F910-47BF-A619-F4E20612FC06.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 144
  • C8B92D67-AAD1-4DA7-B1F5-80C6465F65D8.jpeg
    C8B92D67-AAD1-4DA7-B1F5-80C6465F65D8.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 140
  • 49513F83-61C0-4FA8-9CD5-844017056381.jpeg
    49513F83-61C0-4FA8-9CD5-844017056381.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 4BB18B81-98A1-4EB2-957A-2EDACA199674.jpeg
    4BB18B81-98A1-4EB2-957A-2EDACA199674.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 149
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL. Why not a bit?

That really would seem an easy way to get it done. But feed it in slow so as to not split the stock.

Jack

Both Ames and JackP have valid approaches for addressing the ramrod size issue. The tapered ramrod will provide the strongest approach and the smaller diameter rod will also work since a range rod gets used most of the time.

Both Ames and JackP have valid approaches for addressing the ramrod size issue. The tapered ramrod will provide the strongest approach and the smaller diameter rod will also work since a range rod gets used most of the time.
I guess I’ll just taper my ram rod a bit. The way my luck runs if I tried a drill I’d mess the stock up. I definitely don’t want to have to inlet a new stock for my components. I had a heckuva time with this one lol. Thanks guys.

Interesting. I use a dremel with various tools for sculpting. I like their versatility and accuracy. What is the issue with them?

Honestly, drilling out the RR hole should be the easiest, assuming you have a reasonable amount of wood around it. To be conservative, you should do it by hand rather than under power. As stated above, tapering the RR is certainly the safest though.

Also, before you do anything, make sure that it's actually the size of the ramrod hole that is the problem. If your front lock bolt enters into the channel it can grip the rod. Assuming that you have a front lock bolt.

Otherwise, it would probably be about a ten minute job to taper the ramrod with sandpaper and elbow grease.

I have taken a dowel of smaller diameter rod, cut a slot in it, placed a strip of sand paper in the slot and slowly honed the rod channel, Turn the hone by hand or with a variable speed drill. A little too much, the rod won't stay in without a restriction at the rod entrance. Interesting, I have had a loose rod more than a tight rod in the channel. I am curious if the channel has a restriction in from milling or at the bottom of the channel due to crud build up.

I guess I’ll just taper my ram rod a bit. The way my luck runs if I tried a drill I’d mess the stock up. I definitely don’t want to have to inlet a new stock for my components. I had a heckuva time with this one lol. Thanks guys.
Go to youtube and look up ,Gunsmithing-Making an Ebony Ramrod for a Westley Richards Muzzle Loading Shotgun.You will find an easy to taper your ram rod about half way through the movie.

Jack

Back