• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod battered balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bounce my rod lightly to insure i am on the powder. in addition to having a series of witness marks on my rod. had no idea it would ruin the accuracy! I always thought I was just a piz poor shot!
inconsisten pressure more like it. If its a gentle bounce, you must be shooting a easy loading combo?

I aiways lightly bounce my ramrod and have won many completions in my club so think I will continue to bounce

We all know how degrees go. I was watching a show where this lady is a geologist. she proudly told a guy, shes not stupid, she has a degree and knows what gold looks like.

Turned out to be a piece of sand.

He’s also been a member of his countries national muzzleloader team for ten years.

inconsisten pressure more like it. If its a gentle bounce, you must be shooting a easy loading combo?
depends on which rifle i am loading. my memory is so bad anymore, i just use one size fits all according to caliber. that and the wife gave me a set of sheets from a queen size bed with a 1000 thread count. 100% cotton. .015 thickness.
guess what my patches are made of.
only thing i vary is the ball size. i have molds for .490, .495, .530, .535 and .310 figure if it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer! :ghostly: (humor)

Wailing the hell out of ones balls could lead to early blindness. Really I see no use for this although I've seen it a bit at the range.
at least that is what my mother told me when she caught me doing it in the tub.

So... now we know what a steel tipped ramrod will do, how about a plain wood rod.
I think getting the ball down on the powder to the witness mark on the ramrod should be the first concern.

Personally, I think you guys have way too much time on your hands and are looking for things to argue about, this will all go away when summer comes and everyone is out shooting.

After reading the are round balls really round thread I decided to try a little experiment. I rammed a .490 patched ball on top of 50 grains of 3f in a .50 bore and wailed the Hell out of it with the ramrod with just my hand. Removed the breech plug and powder just poured out without any signs of clumping into a pellet. I pushed the ball thru and here it is. Apparently the ramrod being less than bore diameter allows it to hit the ball off center and will rotate the ball a bit with each strike. YMMV.View attachment 127280
Hummm. What about the shooters that hammer the ball in. This is one of the reasons I cone my muzzles. I push the ball down to seat it on the powder. I do not bounce the rod on to of the ball either, which must be some sort of ritual.

Cap and Ball. Any doubts as to the man’s ability with a rifle check out his latest on an American Picket rifle he restored. in 37 caliber. With those kind of groups at 50 meters with a rough bore a few dimples on the balls leading face can’t be that great of a deal.

I’m no expert at all but I haven’t blown myself up or damaged a piece ( drop or knock over don’t count ) and I hit pretty much what I shoot at within reason.
I was always told firm pressure and try not damage the projo so it flies like it’s supposed to. I have a steel ramrod on my repo and I put a Sharpie line it to show me I’m fully seated less I make a pipe bomb.
And those guys I see at the range they seem to have something done to the end of their barrel so they smack the ball & patch in , then push the projo down . Seems they are really accurate. I asked one and he showed me that end of his barrel is reamed ( right phrase ?) about an inch down, then the lands and grooves start. I only have two repo muskets both in .58 ( 577 for the Enfield ) and I don’t have to use much force at all.
I’m no expert tho. But seems to me you don’t wanna damage your projo so it flies like it’s supposed to. But if it works for others who am I to say any thing? Never owned those nice rifles you guys have.

This thread is about round balls, mini’s should be undersized, what about the Lee REAL bullet. Never used them. How much work is required to seat one on the powder?

Cap and Ball , lightly bounces his ramrod over his seated ball. He doesn't pound it down. A huge difference.

I'll bet most of those indentations are from the ball seating into the muzzle. Folks seem to pound that first stroke to seat the ball into the muzzle sometimes several times instead of a firm push once. Then additional indentations are from the hand pound to push the ball down 6" or so before the final indentations seating the ball over the powder with the ramrod. No need to hand pound...just push!

I'm still new to black powder shooting and somewhat self-taught; I give firm pressure with my body weight and check my scribe line to verify the seated depth. Seems to me most rods are to light to drive a tightly patched ball any noticeable distance by throwing it down the bore.

I know a ball not seated firmly against the charge can turn your rifle into a pipe bomb, but how far from the charge before that happens ? 1/16" ? 1/8" ? 4" ? Other than poor accuracy , what really happens if the ball is on the powder but not fully seated against compressed powder ? Again still fairly new to BP shooting and very curious by nature..

Back