• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ramrod battered balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
After reading the are round balls really round thread I decided to try a little experiment. I rammed a .490 patched ball on top of 50 grains of 3f in a .50 bore and wailed the Hell out of it with the ramrod with just my hand. Removed the breech plug and powder just poured out without any signs of clumping into a pellet. I pushed the ball thru and here it is. Apparently the ramrod being less than bore diameter allows it to hit the ball off center and will rotate the ball a bit with each strike. YMMV.
20220310_124307.jpg

I used to explain to people that bouncing or pounding the ball wasn’t necessary or desirable but once it’s in their head it can’t be changed.
Remember that it (wanging on the load ...) was all in the infamous quest for repeatability, in regards to 'replicating' the pressure that the load was loaded to. Anyone else recall the $30 spring-loaded 'KaDOOTY' tool that you slipped over your ramrod and acted like a slide hammer????

"Hi, my name is Flint62Smoothie and I'm admittedly a former roundball/ramrod load wanger ..."

KaDOOTY:
The KaDOOTY is intended for use with round balls, conicals, and saboted bullets. The KaDOOTY is manufactured of solid brass, and the workmanship is very fine. Each tool comes with a printed booklet and instructional video. As most folks know, repeatable seating pressure is important for consistent velocities and accuracy.

KaDooty.jpg

I used to explain to people that bouncing or pounding the ball wasn’t necessary or desirable but once it’s in their head it can’t be changed.
I bounce my loading rod on the round ball for one reason. The bounce tells me that the ball is seated on the powder charge. The rod will not bounce if there is an air gap between the ball/patch and the powder.
I don't wipe the barrel between shots, so if there is some fouling, it hinders seating the ball on the powder. Thus, the reason for the bounce.

Many years ago, I was at Blue Trail Range in Wallingford, Ct., on a weekday . . . .(range near-empty.)

A young man, about three firing points to my right was seemingly “enamored” with two elderly guys about four firing points to my left.

You could tell these two grey-beards had been buddy’s for years and shot ML’s together a lot.

Unfortunately, their loading/shooting procedure left a lot to be desired . . . . .in that they each had a 20-oz. claw hammer in their kit which was used to “POUND the LIVING SCHEIT” out of the ramrod/ball ALL THE WAY DOWN the barrel!

Their targets showed the results of their routine . . . .”shotgun” pattern groups!

When they finally left, I wandered down to the young man and said, “Forget what those guys were doing . . . .ML shooting procedure is MUCH DIFFERENT than what you just witnessed!”

I always try to damage the projectile as little as possible. I don’t have any test results to prove it, but I can’t imagine that a less damaged bullet will fly better than a damaged one.

After reading the are round balls really round thread I decided to try a little experiment. I rammed a .490 patched ball on top of 50 grains of 3f in a .50 bore and wailed the Hell out of it with the ramrod with just my hand. Removed the breech plug and powder just poured out without any signs of clumping into a pellet. I pushed the ball thru and here it is. Apparently the ramrod being less than bore diameter allows it to hit the ball off center and will rotate the ball a bit with each strike. YMMV.View attachment 127280

I ASSUME there was a brass or steel tip on the ramrod?

I bounce my loading rod on the round ball for one reason. The bounce tells me that the ball is seated on the powder charge. The rod will not bounce if there is an air gap between the ball/patch and the powder.
I don't wipe the barrel between shots, so if there is some fouling, it hinders seating the ball on the powder. Thus, the reason for the bounce.
Pretty much the same procedure I use. Gets me down the last 1/8” to the mark on my ramrod.

BTR was an interesting place back in the day.

It certainly was . . . . .

Built by Lyman Gun Sight in 1948 . . . . .Dad had me there about 1952/53. Place was manicured like a golf club!

No it doesn't. A projectile stuck in a crud ring will bounce. Especially with a light wood ramrod.

The Hungarian capandball YouTuber
does it. That would be good enough for me given the guy’s credentials.

Hmm, think about what you said, only I'll word it differently.

Does a crackhead millionaire make you want to go out and do crack, because of all his credentials?

After reading the are round balls really round thread I decided to try a little experiment. I rammed a .490 patched ball on top of 50 grains of 3f in a .50 bore and wailed the Hell out of it with the ramrod with just my hand. Removed the breech plug and powder just poured out without any signs of clumping into a pellet. I pushed the ball thru and here it is. Apparently the ramrod being less than bore diameter allows it to hit the ball off center and will rotate the ball a bit with each strike. YMMV.View attachment 127280
And experienced metal detector guys who've done Civil War battlefields will know about musket Minie balls rammed and jammed into musket barrels, so that the tip is deformed. They're very
noticeable among found minie balls.

Does a crackhead millionaire make you want to go out and do crack, because of all his credentials?

hmmm....maybe...he does have more money than me so he must be doing SOMETHING right...maybe that something is the crack :dunno: (please note heavy amounts of sarcasm were used while making this reply)

He's a member of the Hungarian shooting team so I'll take his credentials about shooting over some random guy on the internet any day.

If I want to do crack, then I'll get in touch with a crackhead.

No it doesn't. A projectile stuck in a crud ring will bounce. Especially with a light wood ramrod.

You must have some hellacious crud rings. My experience has been the ramrod doesn't bounce until the ball is on the powder. Wooden ramrod or not.

I seem to have read somewhere that that guy has an advanced degree in historical weaponry. He certainly has access to a large numbers of them and in most he will bounce the rod lightly after seating the projectile.
Now I don’t own or shoot long gun muzzle loaders but if I did I’d be inclined to emulate his loading techniques.

As to crack I don’t quite get the reference. ??

I seem to have read somewhere that that guy has an advanced degree in historical weaponry. He certainly has access to a large numbers of them and in most he will bounce the rod lightly after seating the projectile.
Now I don’t own or shoot long gun muzzle loaders but if I did I’d be inclined to emulate his loading techniques.

As to crack I don’t quite get the reference. ??
We all know how degrees go. I was watching a show where this lady is a geologist. she proudly told a guy, shes not stupid, she has a degree and knows what gold looks like.

Turned out to be a piece of sand.

Theres no reason to 1950s Davy Crockett a ball down the bore. Having a witness mark on your ramrod or range rod does more to show you that the projectile is down.

I shoot a super snug patched ball and never had to resort to beating a ball down, nor bounce a rod. The amount of damage to a ball it causes is unreal.

Back