• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod alternatives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your question is going to be split into answers based on what was done and what is done, so I'll just go ahead and get it over with. :rolleyes: I have no idea what was used and it would probably be difficult to study a large enough sample of rods in existence to come to solid conclusions.

Here in my part of the west, there are no naturally occurring hickory trees. In fact, a trapper in the mountain man era in my neck of the woods, for example, would not have many choices in materials for a rod. A couple that come to mind are oak and serviceberry.

I have used quite a few straight grained oak dowels and have never broken one. Probably many straight grained hardwoods would serve well. The only rods I've ever had break were rods supplied with some of the Italian and Spanish kit guns.

I do not know that it was ever used in the past, but it was a popular wood for areas that were shocked as it is so tough. Elm, ash and hickory tougher brother, I’m guessing would have found its way under some guns.
Wiping sticks were transported to the original rendezvous since hickory was few and far between.
Used right a wooden ramrod shouldn’t break, but ramrods seem to reproduce by them selves since each of my guns have several.

I've been having good luck with oak. Not sure which species it is, red I think. Big box store oak dowels, usually have to look through the entire bin to find 2 or 3 that are suitable with minimal run-out. Going on ten years, no failures yet.

Never found oak to be too brittle or hard. OTOH, I think that correctly used many choices will work. Most of us have probably observed some cringeworthy techniques! :)

Oak works just fine but you have to be careful carving the ends. Maple works real well and is easier to work and more readily available. YMMV

If you want hickory and cant find it go buy an old wood shafted golf club-that will be hickory for sure

Should you grab the rod near the muzzle and drive home with short strokes even a hardware store dowel will work. Breakage happens when one grasp the end and tries to drive home in one long stroke. The rod can bow, bend and snap.
Short stokes near the muzzle give no room to bow... no snap.
Im thinking Dog wood was popular arrow wood, that too should stand to drive home a ball or two.

Never found oak to be too brittle or hard. OTOH, I think that correctly used many choices will work. Most of us have probably observed some cringeworthy techniques! :)

Depends on the species of Oak, most Oak that is available for Dowels and Turning is used for things that are ‘immobile’ such as banisters, railings and furniture legs. Thinner Oak Dowels (usually red oak) is what you’d find at a craft store or Lowes or Home Depot which is a more flexible and sturdy Oak.

White Oak I would not use.

In any circumstance, Hickory is both harder and more flexible than Oak and has a better grain and is overall the better choice.

If you could ever find it, Ebony would be almost as strong as a fibreglass ramrod.

Thinner Oak Dowels (usually red oak) is what you’d find at a craft store or Lowes or Home Depot which is a more flexible and sturdy Oak.
That seems to be my experience exactly.
Before I buy any dowel, I inspect it for grain run-out and then tiller it like you would a bow, checking it for even flexibility.

If you could ever find it, Ebony would be almost as strong as a fibreglass ramrod.
I could find it if I had to. I used to buy it at Condon Hardwoods in NY. Made fingerboards for fretted instruments with it. You would have to rip it and round it yourself, not to mention it costs a fortune by the board foot.

I could find it if I had to. I used to buy it at Condon Hardwoods in NY. Made fingerboards for fretted instruments with it. You would have to rip it and round it yourself, not to mention it costs a fortune by the board foot.

I once contracted to buy a pallet of ebony from South Africa. The price was reasonable and I was sure I could resell at a good profit. But, the quoted cost of air freight was a killer. Cancelled order.

Are we talking field expedient or pc/HD homemade? Or just something that could be made at home for something different. In the 1st 2 cases I'd look for wood that is used for whitewood bow making, oh, hickory tops that list, but also elm would be good but is so hard to split and probably impossible to split out straight. I've heard of ash being used for long bows. Haven't tried it.
In the second case, home made, not hc/pc, but something different,,, what about bamboo? I'm thinking split and pieced together like for a fly rod, but with less taper.

If I were out somewhere, no source for a store-bought stick, I guess that I would look for white ash; strong and flexible enough for snow-shoe making.

Ash is very good wood for ramrods. Most English Musket ramrods before 1755 were made of Ash, as was the English Long Bow.

Back