• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What size hickory blank should I order for a 50 cal. Traditions Hawken Hunter?
My ramrod that came with my Pedersoli broke while loading and my hand was injured. If I were making a ramrod from scratch I would get a blank were the grain runs very straight all the way down from tip to end.

Kinda hard to see what fits when ordering by phone

Measure the ID of your thimbles & shop for a RR that's the same diameter - if it's too tight, it can be made to fit with a little sandpapering. If it's too long, it can be shortened and the old tip relocated on the cut.

If you're buying just a bare rod, when cutting it to the length you need, be sure to allow for the length of the tip(s) you'll be installing.

i'd bet a dime to a donut its 3/8. all my TC's from .45 up use that diameter.
when i build a new rammer i measure from the touch hole to muzzle, cut the rod that long and add my ends. the overall length protrudes past the muzzle and i grant you looks kinda funky, but it gives me something to hold onto other than just the very tip. ymmv

I like tapered rods, as were generally used with originals. If it were me, I would order a 7/16" rod, leave the head full diameter, and shave the body of the rod down to fit the thimbles. I use a block plane for that. Actually, I think it's smart to keep several different sizes of ramrod blanks on hand, and some dealers may have a minimum order, anyhow. Consider ordering several, in various sizes.

Are you ordering a spare, or replacing the original rod? Do you actually have the rifle in your possession at this time? If you just need a rod to take to the range for shooting, either a 3/8" or 7/16" rod should work in your .50 caliber rifle, with no modification. A lot of shooters have a dedicated range rod.

If you need to replace the original rod or get a readymade spare to fit your rifle, you might call October Country. They have a mind-boggling assortment of ramrods, and may be able to advise you which one to order for your specific rifle.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

AN entire hundreds of words essay can easily be written just on the subject of ramrods because of the myriad of kinds of ramrods , and guns , out there. Notchy does a pretty good job of defining ramrods and knowledge of them.
One thing , I once built two teen age brothers each , a .50 cal. long rifle. They were back in the shop in a week or so , with broken ramrods about a foot or so up from the rod tip. I asked them if they were using the short starters I gave each of them when we went to the range for training? They said , " What's a short starter?" Once they were reminded to use a short starter ,it's been 40 years or so and no more busted r/rods. ...oldwood

I like tapered rods, as were generally used with originals. If it were me, I would order a 7/16" rod, leave the head full diameter, and shave the body of the rod down to fit the thimbles. I use a block plane for that. Actually, I think it's smart to keep several different sizes of ramrod blanks on hand, and some dealers may have a minimum order, anyhow. Consider ordering several, in various sizes.

Are you ordering a spare, or replacing the original rod? Do you actually have the rifle in your possession at this time? If you just need a rod to take to the range for shooting, either a 3/8" or 7/16" rod should work in your .50 caliber rifle, with no modification. A lot of shooters have a dedicated range rod.

If you need to replace the original rod or get a readymade spare to fit your rifle, you might call October Country. They have a mind-boggling assortment of ramrods, and may be able to advise you which one to order for your specific rifle.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob
This is fitted with a horn tip but it’s 1/16, tapers to 3/8 over most of its length then 5/16 at end
81D8CF92-774B-4489-8991-98780040919B.jpeg

I have made multiple replacement rods for my CVA/Traditions rifles. I always start with standard 3/8 blanks but have to thin them down some. I chuck them in a drill and use a coarse sandpaper to slim them down slightly. Then finish the sanding process by hand.

Back