• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ramelson beginner's carving set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a Chambers york kit and I am trying to figure out the basic tools I will need. This set has 6 different tools that I think will help alot, any thoughts? The set is ramelson beginners carving set #14I21. I know Peihls are the best but too costly for now. Thanks for everyone's help on this site!

Unlike many others, I do recommend getting a set when beginning carving. Each size/shape is intended for a different job and when you need it, you need it. There are a lot of good quality carving tools on the market. I would caution you to avoid the really low end cheapies. These often have very short tangs. Meaning there is almost no strength in the handles and they can dangerously break causing injury. Whatever you buy, also get a selection of sharpening stones, including a rounded slip stone. Sharpness is the name of the game.

Great purchase! You should buy this:
http://www.logcabinshop.com/catalog.php?path=188_121&product_id=27878

In which Mr. Ehlert teaches the building of two different kits from Jim Chambers.

Unless you plan on learning relief carving on your new kit (probably not a good idea), the only thing you need chisels for really is inletting the parts.

I would just buy this and learn how to keep it blindingly sharp:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products...p-single-bevel-straight-chisel-5-mm-full-size

If you do purchase the dvds (and you really, really should), the only thing I would change is using permatex prussian blue instead of inletting black (a tip from flehto).

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was about 13, a family friend gave me a small but high quality palm carving set from Germany. Even though I had no one to show me how to use the individual 8 chisels, I made some interesting carvings. When I started stocking long rifle parts, they came in very handy, even though I never did any relief carving. I sure used a lot of bandaids over the years. I used it mostly to inlet tangs and locks. The rest could be done with a regular wood chisel and decent whittling knife. I used a curved face surfoam tool for rough shaping..

thanks for your tips! I have already purchased the James Turpin Video (building muzzleloaders, and his other video, building Jim Chambers Long Gun Kits) and they are extremely helpful! I am going to Woodcraft to get sharpening stones and a guide. I am also looking to get a strop for the different gouges and veiners.

You use stones to shape chisels and the strop to put the final edge on and maintain that edge.

You can make your own strop by gluing a strip of veg tan leather to a 2x4 and then liberally coating it with hardware store buffing compound.

Those types of guides in general look gimmicky and limiting in application.

Obi-Wan Cannoli is right. Go with Pfeil even if they cost too much. Start off with a flat chisel and about a 3 or 4 sweep gouge about 8mm. That is enough to get started. Then just get another one or two every payday. You will have a good set eventually. Chisels are pretty much the main tool for building guns. If you go cheap you will regret it. Chisels are useless without sharpening stones and strop. Once again, don't go cheap. But don;t waste money on one of those silly guides. You are better off waiting until you can get proper tools than starting now with crummy tools.

When I toured Dollywood a few decades ago, there was a wood carver's shop and the guy turned out beautiful carvings. What intrigued me most about the carver, is that every once in a while he would just barely touch the gouge, chisel, etc to the buffing wheel and then go back to carving. When I asked, he said a couple seconds on the buffing wheel beat a minute stropping. He was using mostly one or two sweeps that day. He claimed they stayed sharper than anything he had tried. He let me try one. It pushed through the wood like it was butter. Can't recall what wood, but it was a huge statue.

Back