• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ram Rod Pipe Holder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I made this ram rod holder so that I can easily hold the ram rod pipes while I clean up the flats. It is not my idea, I just borrowed it from someone else – I forgot who. I made one out of brass and one out of steel – no particular reason. It is 3/8 inches in diameter and about 4 inches long. It is drilled and tapped for an 8-32 screw that is 1-3/8 inches long. The front section is drilled for a clearance hole one drill size larger than the normal clearance hole for a #8 screw to allow for movement of the forward section when tightening. It is held in a vise as you see here and rotated to the next flat position when one flat is completed. I find it works very well for me and it just might work for you also – enjoy.
P1030741.JPG
P1030743.JPG
P1030747.JPG
P1030748.JPG
P1030741.JPG

A piece of correct size wood ramrod , with a small wedge of wood sawed into the end of the wood rod , works very well. It can be put into a vise for filing/sending , and held on the stick to polish on a buffer w/o burning your fingers .

I guess I'm dumb. How does this work exactly?
Are you referring to my tool? If so it is simple - the two sliding surfaces (30 degrees) are drawn together with the #8-32 screw that goes into the center of both parts - see pictures. As the parts are drawn together by the screw the diameter of the tool expands and friction holds the ram rod pipe from moving. You now can sand / file / buff the ram rod pipe and it is held fast from rotating - simple.

Are you referring to my tool? If so it is simple - the two sliding surfaces (30 degrees) are drawn together with the #8-32 screw that goes into the center of both parts - see pictures. As the parts are drawn together by the screw the diameter of the tool expands and friction holds the ram rod pipe from moving. You now can sand / file / buff the ram rod pipe and it is held fast from rotating - simple.
Yes I was referring to your tool. Please understand, no disrespect was intended! I'm just trying to understand how to use something similar.

I shoulda called the r/r pipe holder a r/r wedge holder. When the wedge is slid into the sawn end of the sized piece of r/r , the wedge swells the end so the r/r pipe jams onto the pc. of r/r. It can be used in a vise , and you can do whatever to the r/r pipe w/o burning your fingers ,etc. Make one for 1/2" , 3/8" ,or 5/16" pipes. Mine are about 8" long , and I stuck the two smaller ones in a pencil sharpener w/o pointing the end too much. Works like crazy.

Back