• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ram Rod Drill Bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long 3/8" drill bit. A piece of straight steel rod. A 3/8"x1/4"x1" steel coupler. A 3/32" steel pin. Split pins would work too.

Reduce end of drill shank to a 1/4". Reduce end of steel rod to a 1/4". Push everything together.

Drill a 3/32" hole through the coupler and cross pin with the 3/32" pin.

Drill 1/2" deep, clear chips. Drill 1/2" deep. Etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.JPG
    IMG_1585.JPG
    720 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    749.7 KB · Views: 0
Cold rolled with no temper, a light sharpening makes it ready for the next project. I’ve done six or eight with this one so far.

Did you use a mill to cut that flute or use something else? Wonder if it would be very hard to cut the flute with a Dremel and then clean it up with files

I bought mine from jedediah starr trading company. 48 inches long and have a brad point. will drill straight as long as you take care making the ramrod groove as a guide and clear the chips out.

My RR drills were made when I was working in a toolroom. The shank of the drill was ground down for a suitable length and pressed into a drilled hole in the end of a length of drill rod and then high temp silver soldered. The other end of the drill rod was drilled for a length of Allen Wrench which chucked nicely in a hand brace. ....it also was soldered in. The drill point was a flat bottom so the drill didn't wander. .....Fred

Back