• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

raising pattern

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smo said:
Brit,

It wouldn't have any effect on a round ball would it?
:idunno:
I recall that the late Paul Valdillingham used to recommend this for smoothies shooting roundball loads ... and that's where I first had heard of it.

Because I wasn't privy to how it would work with shot loads ... is why I couldn't recommend the method without more info.

Now we have that info ... thanks to all posters who contributed their knowledge!

30 yards, center is 6 inches low. Most shots will still hit what you are shooting it is not a rifle, stop aiming it.

Do not lower your cheek like sighting a rifle. Lift the comb a bit with leather or some mole hair patches.

Many modern SG shooters have the same problem. Remember it is a shotgun not a rifle. If it has a center bead remove it that is helping you to AIM the gun.

Trap guns raise the comb on purpose to make the pattern center 1-2 FEET above the aim point. Call it a built in lead.

Although it's counter-intuitive, by reducing your powder charge or the weight of your shot, it'll raise your pattern.

Because the recoil is less with lighter charges, the time the charge stays in the barrel is less and the recoil effects the rise of the barrel less. Thus the charge leaves the barrel more quickly and raises your pattern. I know this sounds wacky. It's worth a try, at least. There is certainly a law of diminishing returns but it will work. Whether this is practical, I don't know.

Gene L said:
Although it's counter-intuitive, by reducing your powder charge or the weight of your shot, it'll raise your pattern.

Because the recoil is less with lighter charges, the time the charge stays in the barrel is less and the recoil effects the rise of the barrel less. Thus the charge leaves the barrel more quickly and raises your pattern. I know this sounds wacky. It's worth a try, at least. There is certainly a law of diminishing returns but it will work. Whether this is practical, I don't know.
That sounds the wrong way around buddy and even so other factors can influence the outcome of this method, like the shooter themselves or stock configuration.
Pedersoli have heavy barrels and are stable when it comes to recoil influence between varying recoil pulses.
No disrespect but this is certainly not the answer.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
:cursing:
I hate doing this topic. I usually end up defending my self for trying to help someone!

It’s the reason I don’t post things like this even if I did know. :(
I always enjoy your posts and knowledge, thanks for sharing.

William Alexander

I appreciate the advice and plan on doing this tomorrow, if work and weather cooperate. just to be sure should I file flat across the bottom of the barrels or on an angle from bottom towards top / I'll let you know how it works for me.

Slight angle.
No need to go beyond 4-8oclock from 6oclock.
My trade gun shoots low but I don't want to bend it.
I am thinking of filing that one too!

B.

I Suggest looking over numerous videos on You Tube from the English gun makers, like Purdey, Holland and Holland, Churchill, etc to see how they deal with this sort of a phenomenon. Most of the time it's dealt with in the "try gun" phase when they're getting a customer's dimensions and specifications, before they build the gun for them, but there is a bit of tweeking that can be done afterwards as well.

Well I filed both my barrels yesterday. I have to admit I was a little skeptical but I hated having a gun that didn't shoot where I wanted. I didn't want to fool with changing stocks, etc. I am glad to say that with minimal filing and about 30 minutes I had the right barrel shooting higher and the left shooting both higher and to the right. I couldn't believe the difference a little filing made. you can hardly tell where I filed. Both barrels are shooting dead on at 30 yards. The turkeys are in trouble this spring. Thanks for your help

It is not my knowledge brother.

I had the same issue years ago and another member pointed me this way and it made perfect sense so filed away I did and had instant success.

B :thumbsup:

Glad all turned out well. I think I would be more nervous doing the fileing than I was when I did the bending on my fowler barrel a few years ago. :shocked2:

Latest posts

Back