• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rain and humidity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been shooting BP muzzleloaders for less than a year so I do not have a lot of hands on experience with them. I went shooting today for the first time on a warm very humid rainy day. I put about 25-30 rounds through my renegade. I did not wipe the bore the whole time. I used prelubed patches that have wonder lube on them. I am still shooting up my stock of these patches. Once these are gone I will use traditional patch lubes.

What I noticed today is I did not have to wipe the bore as loading never got difficult. On a colder drier day I usually wipe about every 5-7 shots to keep things loading easy. Also my first 5-10 shots were right on target in a nice group. After that they were all over the place.

I am thinking that the weather kept the fouling softer but because I did not swab the bore my accuracy suffered. Is this reasonable thinking?

Stick with this and you'll find different guns react differently and yes, humidity and temp do play a part. For a completely different experience, try minies.

The humidity kept the fouling soft and thus the reloading was easy. Your prelubricated patch was not thick enough to remove the fouling deep in the grooves. As @leadhoarder continued to reload, the fouling continued to build up in the grooves ultimate effecting accuracy.

What is common among shooters who "shoot without wiping" is the use of a wet and thick patch that in effect does the wiping between shots function. If anyone wants to do the shooting without wiping, the patch should be thick enough to compress into the grooves and wet enough to remove the fouling in the grooves. You should also be firing often enough that the wetness of the patch doesn't spoil the powder charge.

Latest posts

Back