• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Raccoon baculum bone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Makes me wonder why old men are spending time typing about male coon parts.”

Makes me wonder why you younger guys read whats typed and respond. Must be some interest when you see the topic and read on. He who lives in a glass house ….. only funnin. Where else can the topic of coon pecker bones get so much traction? Topically, not much “stiff” competition?

Patriot

i have a oosik from a walrus that would make a great implant!
when they crawl out of the water onto the ice, it get's hung up on the ice! OUCH! I guess that the freezing water doesn't bother it? lucky him!

I have about thirty of them, offered to make the ol'e lady a necklace, she said thanks but I'll pass.

I caught all of these coons in one year, out of 27 coons caught, 25 were males and 2 were females. Interested to know if anyone else has had the same experienceView attachment 117807
coon hunters wife's have had earrings made out of the juvenile's ones, about an inch long. and by the way foxes have one also. that is where GETTING THE BONE , comes from!

Walruses also have a baculum. Couple Iñupiat guys I knew would carve fates and sell them to tourists as “Eskimo Love Flutes” just to watch the taniqs put a walrus thingie in their mouths. 🤣
Jay
What’s with this in the “mouth”phobia here, ever hear of Rocky Mountain Oysters. How about the closer the bone the sweeter the meat. I could go on. LOL.
Just waiting out the blizzard here in the North East.

Read the label on potted meat, (mechanically separated chicken) brings vivid images into mind. Now you just step in here Mr. chicken and around you go. If you knew the ingredients in half of the stuff you eat it would be interesting, by the way I like potted meat and crackers, a good lunch item hunting deer. Worked for a fellow when younger who bought cattle, some of them were slated as Bologna and hot dog cows. I will leave it at that.

Makes ya wonder how the male coon broke it, now does it not.

Well............... ever seen a Boar and Sow Coon in the wild and "in the arms of Venus?" I can tell you it is NOT always a romantic "meeting."

We took the dogs out one year a couple of months before Coon season, just to keep their "paws and throats" in practice for the upcoming season. My friend's best coon hound picked up the trail first and the other two dogs followed in. Then all of a sudden, we heard the gosh dangdest screams, growls, yelps, and carrying on that we believed the coon had begun fighting the dogs. So, we ran there quick as possible to break up the fight and came to a small clearing in the woods to a sight we did not EVER expect to find.

Even with three dogs barking and raising Cain around them only a few feet away at most, the Boar Coon was NOT going to stop even though the Sow was fighting, biting and clawing him while they rolled over back and forth around the entire clearing in what looked like a knock down drag out fight to the death. All we could do was stand there and stare with dropped jaws, since the dogs were in no danger.

Finally the Boar finished and I swear the Sow cussed him out vividly in "Coon Language" before she took off for the hills as fast as possible. The dogs let her go, but kept barking at him. That's when we stepped in to grab the dogs by their collars. Now I'm not going to tell you the Boar took time to smoke a cigarette, but he had a weird look on his face and then sort of stumbled around as he ran off. Maybe we had witnessed an act that damaged his bone, but I'll never know for sure.

My friend we hunted with was about 20 years older than us. After the dogs stopped barking, in a quiet voice he said, "Glad Mom (his wife) never reacted that way with me." At that point we laughed so hard we were rolling on the ground.

We later asked him if he had ever seen anything like that before and he told us he had never even heard of a coon hunter stumbling onto a situation like that.

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back