• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rabid wheelgun nuts unite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello CaptainKirk

Say, I have had a Uberti Paterson for some years now. One issue is that the arbor does not have grease grooves in it and the cylinder binds due to fouling in short order. Not so much of a problem though given that I have to pull the barrel after five shots to reload using the combo tool. I made it a habit to also pull the cylinder prior to each re-load and wipe the fouling and re-grease the arbor.

The niples are unique in that rather than having the standard two flat recesses/slots for the wrench to fit upon, these nipples have four and the patterson combo tool must be used for removal.

Mine shoots with the typical high POI but is good for windage. Mine also has the charcoal blue finish and it is starting to wear nicely from use.

As far as disasembly/re-assembly, it is definately a two handed affair and a bit more involving than a standard colt. The extra trigger spring and action cover make for the difference and must be held in place with proper allignment to get the screws re-installed.

By far the most unique percussion colt revolver that I have, and the folding trigger is really neat. The grip is short and fat though and nothing like the smooth feel of an 1851, 60, or 61.

Great thread that you started here. Percussion revolvers just might be my favorite weapon. Sorry that I have no pics to share.

Steve

Welcome to Wheelgun World! :grin:
I've found all my BP revolvers seem to behave much better after I remove the cylinder and grease the arbor with Lubriplate 630AA (or equivalent white lithium grease) Not sure if it would help on a non-grooved arbor, but give it a try. It can't hurt... :idunno:

Berkley said:
Not a pang of guilt. As you said, Uberti isn't making them anymore, and I have two nice .36s in the Navy and Police for shooters. I'll keep the Paterson for pretty - and as an investment. :grin:
2vtr0vo.jpg

I've always wondered every time I see one of those Paterson kits...does the priming flask prime all five at once?

I've always wanted a Paterson but the prices have always put one out of my reach. Even the replicas.

I consider them rather like the Model T Ford. They had many faults and left a lot of room for improvements. On the other hand, they were the first successful revolver and they kicked off the whole world of easily used revolving handguns.

The deep pockets which enclose the nipple was one of Colts improvements over most pepperboxes. These pockets were intended to prevent chain firing which was common with pepperboxes.
Ironically the earliest Paterson had an enclosed cylinder which caused chain firing even with the protective nipple pockets. This enclosure was one of the first things "to go" following testing.

Speaking of pepperboxes, they were revolvers of sorts but their multiple barrels made them heavy, unwieldy firearms to say the least.
They were very prone to chain firing which in part explains Mark Twain's hilarious description of someone shooting one of them.
Perhaps the pepperboxes main claim to fame was that some of them were double action which led to the Starr, the Pettengill and other single trigger double action revolvers.

Don't you have a pepperbox in that collection of yours, Zonie?
Have you shot it? If so, your opinions, please!

That, my friend is no Pepperbox.
That is a "CLASSIC ARMS" 'pepperbox kit'. :rotf:

No, I haven't shot it.
As you know, building guns is not one of my weaknesses but I was never able to get that kit into what I would call a "shootable condition".
It is best described as a POS and my only reason for keeping it is because pepperboxes were a widely used form of pistols and I want to have some representation of them in my collection.
Back in the '70's Hoppes made a pepperbox I would rather have but I've read that these are also poorly made. Not as poorly as a Classic Arms gun though. :rotf:

CaptainKirk said:
I've always wondered every time I see one of those Paterson kits...does the priming flask prime all five at once?
It's supposed to. It does on the originals and presumably on the Pietta version - which Dixie used to sell, and this one was made for. On the Uberti cylinder these spouts don't line up perfectly with all the chambers - slightly different diameter. Also the replica flasks don't come apart to load five balls simultaneously as the originals did.
2mwf8ux.jpg

Sam Colt had a lot of bright ideas for his first attempt, but after some real-world experience things got much less complicated. Fixed trigger with a guard, loading lever built in, load one chamber at a time. The Paterson experiment went bankrupt, but after a little fine tuning with help from the likes of Samuel Walker the basic invention of the revolving pistol made Colt a millionaire when that word was still brand new.

WHAT AM I MISSING??

Honest opinions, please....

I know I don't have enough BP wheelguns...I can just feel it. But I'm not sure what should come next.
I'm kicking about the idea of the Pocket Remmie, but definitely not sold on it yet. The Baby Dragoon comes to mind as well. Taking a jaundiced look at my collection, where do you see the holes?
My theme is shaping up to be wheelguns;1847-1865
So far, I seem to have a preponderance of Colts. I'd like to have a well-rounded representation.

Threeofakind.jpg

Rather than the Pocket Remington I would suggest the .36 cal Remington New Model Navy if you like the Remington's grip.

If you want to stick with Colts, the 1849 Model is a handy little .31 or a sexy Colt 1862 Police in .36 caliber is a nice addition. :grin:

Try a Rogers&Spenser. You can't go wrong with it. Or even one of the confederate knockoffs-such as the Spiller&Burr.

Zonie said:
a sexy Colt 1862 Police in .36 caliber is a nice addition. :grin:
I second that nomination. :grin:

54gnc9.jpg

Pocket pistol size without having to settle for mousegun caliber.

Poor Private said:
Try a Rogers&Spenser. You can't go wrong with it. Or even one of the confederate knockoffs-such as the Spiller&Burr.
Are there many differences between the R&S and the Colts? I'd like to avoid duplication if I can.

Zonie said:
Rather than the Pocket Remington I would suggest the .36 cal Remington New Model Navy if you like the Remington's grip.

If you want to stick with Colts, the 1849 Model is a handy little .31 or a sexy Colt 1862 Police in .36 caliber is a nice addition. :grin:

Hadn't thought of the Navy Remmie. Doesn't that look a lot like the New Army I have?

Berkley said:
Zonie said:
a sexy Colt 1862 Police in .36 caliber is a nice addition. :grin:
I second that nomination. :grin:

54gnc9.jpg

Pocket pistol size without having to settle for mousegun caliber.

Oh, yeah, a 6 1/2" barreled 1862 Police is on my list.

CaptainKirk said:
WHAT AM I MISSING??

Honest opinions, please....

As opposed to my dishonest opinion?

Anyway, here's what I see that you're missing:

You need to round out your creeper loading lever collection with an 1861 Navy and an 1862 Police.

A 5 1/2" barreled Remington would compliment your long barreled one.

Obviously you need a small gun like an 1849 Colt and probably a cut down Army or Navy.

Of course you don't have a Walker yet, just that mousy Dragoon :rotf:

Then there is the oddball stuff, L&R, Griswald and Gunnison, Spiller and Burr, Whitneys if you could find them. Maybe a few originals if you can get them at a good price...

Stick with me, Kirk, and I'll lead you to divorce court and the poorhouse, but you'll have a nice collection of pistolas. :thumbsup:

Pretty!!
I sure like the feel of my '62 Pocket Navy.
Is the Pocket Police a 5 shooter too?

CaptainKirk said:
Poor Private said:
Are there many differences between the R&S and the Colts? I'd like to avoid duplication if I can.
The Rogers & Spencer is totally different.

It uses the top strap of the Remington with a grip shape all its own.

They were originally ordered during the Civil War but were never issued.
Bannerman's bought them up for about $1.00 each (or some ridiculous price) and sold them to the general public for something like $13 ea.

They include several improvements over the Colts and Remingtons including a deflector at the front of the cylinder to keep fouling from collecting on the cylinder arbor. Because of this improvement they will shoot without cleaning all day long.

Here's a Dixie link to their offering http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2568

Last edited by a moderator:
:bow: Kin I come along for the ride too--pulease!!!!Huh!,Huh!-----I won't end up in a divorce court---just want more and better wheelguns (leewolivers)---can never have enough---I'm rabid too!!!--- :rotf: :thumbsup: "Doc"

CaptainKirk said:
WHAT AM I MISSING??[

If'n you want to be a real pistolero.....You need a brace of revolvers!
Get another 60 Army or 51 navy!
With two pistols one of your hands wont get lonely while you are shooting!

Back