• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rabid wheelgun nuts unite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four, Richland arms Spiller and bur .36 cal, Ruger Old Army .45 cal, ASM 1847 Colt Walker .44 cal, 1860 Colt Army 44 cal. They all shoot great but I don't know about the 1860, Aint shot it yet, just got it.
HH 60

Bring it on!!!! I love singel actions.

singleactions003.jpg

Colonialist said:
Looks a bit like 1 1/2 to me :rotf: .....Still beats me though with only one, a .44cal Rem '58 with a 7 1/2" Bbl.
DSCF7839.jpg
I live near Weston Mo, wonder if they still make the whiskey? Next time I go over I'll find out.

Here is a picture of all my C&B pistols. Not all of them are wheelguns. I have fired them all except the 2nd model dragoon at the top. Just picked this up last month and the weather has not cooperated enough to fire it. It's either too cold or to much da*n snow.

You guys are a real bad influence :nono:
I just won an auction for a replica '51 Navy to ad to my growing collection, now including a Baby Dragoon, '62 Pocket Navy, ROA, Pocket Remington, & NAA Super Companion.
I still have the wants for an 1860 Army & a Dragoon but I'm going to try to control myself & shoot what I have for a while. Maybe I should avoid this forum for a while :hmm:

Colonialist said:
Resistance is futile! Prepare to be assimilated. :shocked2:
Uh-oh an old Star Trek the Nex Gen fan.----Now 7 of 9 was hot.- But I prefered Doctor Beverly Crusher (Gates McFadden). No C&B guns in that show.

Leave Star Trek out of this.... :rotf:

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!)

Ahem....anyway, I am surprised at the number of not only wheelgun fans here, but also the number of you that own two or more of them!
I have a feeling they hold the same type of attraction that captures the rocklock owners on the forum.
For those of you who replied, please spill yer guts and tell which one is your fave, and more importantly, WHY.
In this regard, I gave a brief explanation, but let me expand that answer:
If I had to choose one gun out of my four, it would be, hands-down, the Remmy. Not simply because it's SS and a snap to clean up, and the SS parts don't rust (although that IS a great bonus! :grin: ) but primarily because;

*It fits my hand and grip

*It points reasonably well

*It shoots and groups reasonably accurately

*I could reload a spare, fully loaded cylinder in seconds, not minutes. To carry two extra loaded & capped cylinders on your belt in battle would make you a formidable enemy, indeed. (Yes, I realize the foolhardiness of this in present-day, but in the heat of battle with lead whistling around your ears, I wouldn't care!)

*As to the above, this would be FAR easier to wrangle on horseback...or in battle!

*The Enclosed frame design appears much stronger, like an O-frame reloading press, less likely to "spring" if dropped or abused

*Speaking of presses, the loading lever is of a better design (IMHO) than the Colt lever, and is streamlined better for less opportunity to catch on gunleather

*The notches between the nipples are deep, positive and secure. I don't trust the pins on any of my Colts

*No barrel wedge to futz with, no clearance issues with cylinder-to-forcing cone to deal with, especially in the heat of battle

*Grips come off from the sides, grip frame an integral part of gun frame

*Cylinder pin arrangement is slick; pin slides forward with ease but can't get lost

*Front sight is better than the brass pin on the Navy, and doesn't loosen like the brass wedge sight on my Army

*Rear sight notch is fixed to the frame, and not attached to a moving part subject to wear as on the Colts

*Hammer striker is thinner, imparts (IMHO) a sharper, more centralized blow to the caps

*(Somewhat) adjustable mainspring tension

*The .44 is so much more of a "man-stopper" than a .36 ball would be. Not important to me, but if I were a cavalry officer, it would be!

*Lighter in weight than some of the older designs such as Walkers, Dragoons, etc

Whew...there! Enough reasons? I hope so, because I'm about out of 'em!
Now, I'm sure there are a few of you out there that would disagree with my conclusions, so fire away. Tell me what YOU prefer, and why!

kwilfong said:
You guys are a real bad influence :nono:

Yeah, We're known for that..... :wink:

Maybe I should avoid this forum for a while :hmm:

Sorry...won't work. Ve haf vays..... :hmm:

Uberti '47 Colt Walker, ASM '60 fully fluted Colt Army, Pietta '60 half fluted Colt Army, Pietta '60 Colt Army Sheriff's model, Dixie '58 Remington New Army and a Sheriff's, '63 Remmy .31 New Pocket, '58 Starr DA (Double Action) .44, and just sold a Colt "Buntline" .44 with a detachable shoulder stock. I had more, but I'm trying to pare down a bit. Sure are addictive. Oh, and a '73 Colt model P "peacemaker" percussion .45 with a 4-1/2" barrel. Not HC, but fun.

Never had a .36... :hmm:

Homesteader said:
Uberti '47 Colt Walker, ASM '60 fully fluted Colt Army, Pietta '60 half fluted Colt Army, Pietta '60 Colt Army Sheriff's model, Dixie '58 Remington New Army and a Sheriff's, '63 Remmy .31 New Pocket, '58 Starr DA (Double Action) .44, and just sold a Colt "Buntline" .44 with a detachable shoulder stock. I had more, but I'm trying to pare down a bit. Sure are addictive. Oh, and a '73 Colt model P "peacemaker" percussion .45 with a 4-1/2" barrel. Not HC, but fun.

Never had a .36... :hmm:

It's like your .31 after an energy drink. You need one. :wink:

UBERTI
51 navy 36cal.
TWO -1860 ARMY 44 cal.
3RD.MODEL DRAGOON 44 cal.
WALKER 44 cal.
Pieta
1858 REMINGTON 44 cal.
pocket remington 31 cal.

Most accurate and best handling =51 NAVY ( MY TREE-RAT GUN)

I've never admitted this in public before, but...

I have....

If the wife reads this thread and finds out, I'll haunt you forever.

I WILL NOT list them - that's just bad taste. And picking out a favorite based on reasoning is simply impossible, so I'll do the easiest thing:

My 'favorite' is a blued 7 1/2" barrel adjustable sight Ruger Old Army. Because when I shoot that gun I'm a damn good shooter. No other pistol, except my carry gun (also a wheelgun but we can't discuss it here), makes me feel as good about how I shoot as the ROA.

I kind of backed into a cap & ball. :surrender:
Years ago a friend had an Old Army & I got to play. Time passes & I get offered a C&B (the owner wasn't even sure what kind of C&B it was) that would close a gap in a totally different deal. So I said Yes! I'll take it. I had no idea how addictive they were at the time I just figured this was that C&B I'd always kind of wanted.

I found this site, edumacated meself a bit & went & shot the Remmy & was utterly addicted to the whole process. I think its because of the need for accessories & the constant tinkering. I'm an accumulator of "stuff" & I can't resist tinkering with everything I own. All the "Ready to go, right out of the box" doesn't work for me I have to *ahem* "Improve" on the contents of the box. :hmm:

I've never owned anything else & never fired anything else except the ROA all those years ago but I like the fact the Remington isn't too far divorced form modern designs so its within my comfort zone. I like the grip better than a couple of Colts I've handled, but don't really know how well Id like them if I actually fired one....the rear sight in the hammer may work, but it freaks me out. The open tops may well be as strong, may fit better & may shoot better too, but there's a gut feel thing with respect to the barrel "just falling (or blowing) off" :youcrazy:

Twenty-Six, holy mackerel :bow:

(don't worry she'll never figure out the connection, or what I'm talking about). Wimmens just ignore guy talk anyway :rotf:

Understand, that's less than one per year, and the majority, in fact, the vast majority, were used when I acquired them.

(That's as much for SWMBO as it is for my guilty conscience at being a bit of a braggart.)

Back