• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rabid wheelgun nuts unite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
As much as I love all muzzleloaders, especially handguns, I am beginning to realize my first true love is that of wheelguns...the early cap & ball revolvers (Like...Duh! What was my first clue? The fact that I now own four of 'em?) :youcrazy:
Anyway, is there anyone else (besides Dave/Smokin'.50, who has made it plainly obvious! :wink: ) that is a wheelgun nut? Love to hear from ya! :v

I guess I would fall into that catagory. I currently have 7 black powder wheel guns as well as a bunch of others

Seven! :shocked2:

What have you got? Any pictures? I'd love to see 'em.
Also, if you could, a short review of each would be nice, along with how you would rate it?

pistols-002.jpg

Four of um aren't wheelguns though.

Talk to me, Goose!
That's a passel of wheelguns. Which is your fave? And why?
Not just accuracy, but handling, feel, pointability, and utility?
Let's see... I see a Walker, Third Dragoon, long and short-barrel Remmy (possibly a .44 and .36?) a couple of '60 Armies, a '60 Navy, '51 Navy, several brassies, A Wells-Fargo, a pocket Colt...what did I miss?

Favorite? Probably the Uberti 1860 Colt 2nd from the left, bottom row. It's accurate and has the authoritative Boom of a .44.

The best pointing is the Colt 1851 .36 cal. on the bottom row, left side.

Sleekest/prittest Colt 1862 Police bottom row 3rd from left.

Most impressive to a non BP shooter: Walker, top row.

Probably the "best" of the bunch from a 'usability" standpoint: Rogers & Spencer, right side next to the bottom row.

Well, Jim, since we're doing Show & Tell:
Latest to the collection:
Uberti Colt 2nd Dragoon, cal. .44
Unrated.(Not yet fired)
A monster of a gun. Great action, fit & finish. Heavy, not for small of hand or faint of heart. 4+ lbs.
Dragoon.jpg

1858 Remington, cal. .44, Stainless, (Armsport)
Rating: ****
My favorite. If I had to pick one, this would be it. Easy cleanup (stainless) super-quick cylinder swaps, strong,full-frame construction and slim, ergonomic grip. No barrel wedge to mess with. Does not point as well as the Colts, but what the hey...it gets the job done!
1858Rem.jpg

EXCAM 1851 Colt Navy, cal. .36
Rating, ***
Best "pointability of all my guns. Typical Colt construction. Light, flickable, short-but-fat grip. Loading lever somewhat sloppy.
1851Navy1.jpg

kit built (mfg unknown)1860 Colt Army
cal. .44
Rating***
Best (lightest & easiest) action of all my pistols. Not a big fan of the progressive loading lever, but it works. Large, full-sized grip. Good pointability, but not as good as the Navy. I prefer the Remington rear sight, rather than the Colt "notch-in-the-hammer" rear sight. Still a formidable and functional firearm.
1860Army-1.jpg

Kirk: Sorry. I didn't read the bottom of your post.

In order from the top
Colt Walker, Colt 3rd Mod Dragoon
Spiller & Burr, Augusta or Columbus .36, Griswold & Gunnison, Remington New Model Pocket/Colt 1849
Whitney .36, Remington New Model Navy, Remington-Beal Army, Rogers & Spencer .44
1851 Colt, 1860 Colt Army, 1862 Colt Police, 1848 Colt Baby Dragoon.

Looks a bit like 1 1/2 to me :rotf: .....Still beats me though with only one, a .44cal Rem '58 with a 7 1/2" Bbl.
DSCF7839.jpg

I think you will find that your revolver has an 8 inch barrel as do all the .44 caliber Remington Army revolvers.

has an 8 inch barrel as do all the .44 caliber Remington Army revolvers
Could well be. :bow: I'm never sure where to measure from at the rear with a BP revolver as there is no "bolt face" per se. It is whatever the standard factory length is so I'll go with 8".

I've gotten rid of my Remingtons, though they were accurate they just never fit my hand, my second knuckle was wedged hard against the triggerguard. So I only have Colt style revolvers left. The Navy is a tad more accurate, with it's best load it will hold 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards from rest, which is about the best I can do with open sights. The Army model, shown here with a Kirst conversion cylinder, won't do better than 2 1/2" from rest but take away the rest and I seem to shoot a bit better with the 1860 as the grip just fits so much better.
Colts2.jpg

Latest posts

Back