• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabid wheelgun nuts unite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don said:
Yeah, I'd like a dragoon but the thought of carrying one on my belt kind of taints it. But I'd still would like to get one some day.

Don
Then get a horse to carry it for you. :idunno: :shake:

Well I only have two, but they are originals:
Colt 1849 Pocket (c.1858 mfg)
Manhattan Navy IV series (c.mid 1860's)
Both in very nice but obviously well used condition-mechanics work well and cylinder timing etc is very nice. Haven't shot them but wouldn't hesitate to.
I am keen to get some repros to shoot in competition but in Oz we need to jump thru the same hoops to get a BP handgun as a .357 or 9mm.
DSC05303.jpg

DSC05309.jpg

Finally got the '51 today. Now the fun begins; gotta strip it & polish everything, & work on the trigger a bit. I'll shoot it tomorrow. :)

Nice!! Too bad about the red tape. We're very fortunate here in that respect.
Like the Sharps too. Are you shooting black powder? I built myself a Rolling Block last year & have been learning about BP cartridges.

Drug 'em all out & shot a pic:
Wheelguns001.jpg

Bottom two are of course cartidge shooters but still wheelguns

I shoot long range targets with the Sharps-no sillywets clubs here :)
I have a trapdoor too which I want to make my pig gun

My Cap and Ball Wheel Guns :

Colt Walker (Colt 2nd generation)
Colt Dragoon 2nd model (Uberti)
Colt Navy 1851 (Uberti)
Colt Army 1860 civilian (Uberti)
Colt 1862 NYMP (Uberti)
Starr DA (Pietta)
Rogers and Spencer (Feinwerkbau)
Remington New Army engraved 5 ½ barrel (Pietta)
Remington New Army progressive twist (Pietta)
Remington New Army stainless steel (Uberti)
Remington pocket (Pietta)

Plus two cartridge Single Actions:
Remington 1875 45 LC (Uberti)
Vaquero 45LC (Ruger)

The Feinwerkbau Rogers and Spencer is the Rolls Royce of C&B revolvers and my prefered shooting range sixgun but for general use I like the Remington better. Actually I agree with all Captain Kirk said about the Remington and it would be my gun of choice if I had to live through hard times having only one C&B to use for hunting food and defense.

I remember hearing about the Feinwerkbau years ago; had forgotten all about it. Love their airguns; have had a 150, 65, 90, & still have a 124 Deluxe. Not a plastic part in the lot :)

You come well equipped, Pilgrim! :grin:
Tell me a little about your pocket Remmie. I'm considering one as my next wheelgun purchase.
Mainly;
*What size cap? (#10, I assume?)
*Max load/best load?
*What size ball?
(Anyone else with a pocket Remmie feel free to jump right in here!)

It's a fun little revolver, that Remmy is. I actually used it to introduce my young nephews to shooting handguns. I loaded it with 10 - 12 grains of 3F, a felt wad, .321 round ball, and #10 cap. And then set them about 10' from the target!

The only bad thing I've got to say about mine is that the ring holding the loading lever onto the screw broke. Gotta get a new lever or load it out of the gun now.

I have a brass frame CVA (ASM?) Pocket Remington but haven't shot it enough to comment yet. I have a .323" rb mould but wish I could find suitable swaged balls. The sprues are a real pain to line up on such a little piece. It seems like it's going to shoot closer to point of aim than my Baby Dragoon out of the box.

Here's another CVA/Armi San Marco pocket Remington, with some of its bigger friends. :grin:

erzdyg.jpg

I have a collection of C/F wheelguns from .22lr to .454 Casull. Don't worry, I will be turning to the dark side at some point... :wink:

By gar, I do believe I see a Paterson on the right!
I am somewhat offended that Uberti dropped that one from the lineup before I had a chance to decide if I wanted one. The nerve of some folks!
How does it shoot? I've heard they're a bit finicky...

Scharms said:
I have a collection of C/F wheelguns from .22lr to .454 Casull. Don't worry, I will be turning to the dark side at some point... :wink:

No time like the present! :grin:

To be honest, I've never fired a shot through it. I've been taking Colts apart since I got a real 49 pocket model back in my teens when Eisenhower was President, but the thought of taking a Paterson apart to clean it gives me cold chills.
2v16g5g.jpg

Not to sound redundant, but...
No time like the present! :grin:

Besides, if you don't shoot it, why keep it?
(Feeling guilty yet?.....Good!)

Not a pang of guilt. As you said, Uberti isn't making them anymore, and I have two nice .36s in the Navy and Police for shooters. I'll keep the Paterson for pretty - and as an investment. :grin:
2vtr0vo.jpg

Latest posts

Back