• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quiet moments during the off season.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Decided to get out early and do a little target shooting and to try and get a good load picked for hunting next season. Slight mist in the air, and so still you could hear the fine mist hitting the tin roof. This is indeed, one of the good times.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/IAZBpJ21B3bBE61V2

It,s a beautiful day here, all sun , after 11 days of rain, Im getting my gear ready to set up my primitive camp, up in my pasture.Im recoating my tipi poles with thompson,s water seal, and i will be good to go. I pulled some dead alder log,s i cut last fall for firewood, up to the campsite. I will take the excavator up there and dig out the pond,s that got filled up with setiment from the winter rains. My camp is a 1 old man and 1 old dog camp. NO one up here is interested in traditional muzzle loading and in rendezvous I have even taken out an ad in the local paper to see if i could find some like minded folks, but no answer,s. SO me and my lab will have our camp outs in traditional way as much as possible, I even said i would supply either a baker or a pryramid tent for anyone who did not have1 so they could use it at my camp but still no reply,s. But that,s OK I still have the elk/deer/a cougar every once in awhile bobcat/ hawks/ eagles,and barred owl,s talking at night. I guess i will enjoy my camp with the wild critters and my old lab [SCOOBY}

Jim,
If you weren't so far away I would load up the Hawkens, the blue healer (Pearl) and take you up on that offer in a heartbeat. That's the kind of place that I could go to and live out the rest of what I have left.... How about some pictures?
TX Griz

That really sounds like a good time to me. 20 years ago or so I did some winter camping with my brother in his tipi. That was about as good as it gets in my book. Squirrels roasted over the campfire, stories about dogs we have hunted over. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Very cool! Your description brings me there with you. PRB, patch thickness? RB diameter? FFFG! I'm going to have to try some of that as opposed to the FFG I always have shot. Great post! Your picture is great. Thank you.

Alaskan Glen said:
Very cool! Your description brings me there with you. PRB, patch thickness? RB diameter? FFFG! I'm going to have to try some of that as opposed to the FFG I always have shot. Great post! Your picture is great. Thank you.
I was shooting TOTW cast round balls, .490 with TOTW prelubed ticking .018. I did run out of patches 3 balls before the end of the bag of balls, and used some of the 2-1/2" cleaning patches wet down with saliva and trimmed at the muzzle with my extra sharp benchmade pocket knife. The group opened up a bit, but they were still minute of deer! I got the FFFG swiss powder in a trade with a fellow club member. On Clydes recommendation to go to 3f, I finally gave it whirl. Ignition was 100% on first pop. Only misfire I had was a bad cap, on close inspection, I detected that it had no compound in it, it was a dry hole! Glad that didn't happen with a big fat doe in the peep!
Thank you for the compliment, it was indeed one of those mornings that gets remembered as special, with no real reason but for the pure enjoyment of the moment.
TX GRIZ

it was indeed one of those mornings that gets remembered as special, with no real reason but for the pure enjoyment of the moment.

Its called "peace".

No e-mail, no fax, no text no phone, no kids, no neighbors, no traffic, no wife no..... :v

Reminded me of all those "special" days when I was a serious Civil War re-enactor, of waking up before dawn after sleeping on the hard ground at Wilson's Creek, Mo., or Murfreesboro, Tenn., or Prairie Grove, Ark. ”” the air cool and a bit foggy, a peckerwood tapping off in the distance, and the Yankee cavalry horses rustling through the tree line, riders popping off pistol rounds here and there, skirmishing and seeing if the Confederate camp was awake.
No cars, no planes, no iPhones ... only the fleeting moment where you felt you had gone back in history. You roust your middle son to grab his drum and beat to assembly. Your belly was growling and you needed coffee, but you had to grab your Enfield, but on your brown wool-jean shell jacket and slouch hat and strap on your leather accoutrements and haversacks and roust the still-sleepy laggards into formation. Breakfast was a cold, hard biscuit or hardtack cracker and a swig of canteen water left from the day before, the smell of burnt hickory wafting through the air adding more to the foggy haze ”” leftovers of previous night campfires. Soon enough, thousands of Rebel muskets would be adding to the smoke and noise to break the absolute stillness of the morning, with volley fire at the Yanks.
Fondest memories ....

Good for you Jim Bowie, follow your star.

Grouse hunting and steelhead fishing for me, in their day, were largely a solo pursuit. It would have been nice maybe to share it with others but not necessary, and doing it was way more important to me personally than not doing it cuz no one else would go with me.

Better to find those that like it as you do, when that time comes, than to settle for those that don't believe as you do just to have company.

Rendevous on!

Way to go. Good for you not giving up. Wash state has some beautiful country. I was stationed there for over a year and would sometimes go hiking in the mountains. But, that's another story or three.

Back