Quick question on pillow ticking trimming

Discussion in 'General Muzzleloading' started by Poboy, May 25, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 30, 2019 #41

The Crisco Kid

The Crisco Kid

The Crisco Kid

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

What??? I posted the same comment in another thread?? I sure don't remember doing it! It may be that I'm the one getting drifty!

JS

2. May 30, 2019 #42

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

So for me it varies a tiny bit by caliber. With the .54s I use the ball side of my Round Handle Ball Starter (not the little nub starter) but the ball handle it's self. the curve of the round handle pushes the .54 cal ball "Just" below the crown, then I try to cut maybe 1/16th inch to at most 1/8th above the crown. with my .32 this can be too much patch above the ball so I try to load the ball even or maybe with just a hair of it above the crown, and then cut 1/16 above. Hope that helps

Poboy likes this.
  3. Nov 9, 2019 #43

MrMackc

MrMackc

MrMackc

32 Cal

I have a simple hint, Use a wooden patched ball board, a 1X2 actually 3/4" thick works for me on a .50 rifle. load the lubed ticking patch with your favorite "Spit Patch" or whatever you use, (something that don't dry out for a while) and load the patched balls in the block sitting on a hardwood board to get them even with the bottom of your loading board and then cut the patch even with the top of the board, that will leave just a bit of the patch above the ball.

You will look neat and nicely prepared to your shooting buddies at the range or the deer camp (not that means anything, or maybe it will get you out of being the "designated camp-cook and chief bottle washer" ) !

Also, if you use disposable foam paint brushes, after it is dryed out pull the foam and plastic off the dowel (you have a 4" long 7/16" diameter dowel with a nice 3/16" and 3/4"long hole centered in one end of the dowel) and you can use the hardwood dowel to make lots of things, like a short ball starter, etc.,etc.,.

4. Nov 11, 2019 #44

Dr5x

Dr5x

Dr5x

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

I NEVER YSED A SMALL BOARD WITH 4 OR 6 PREDRILLEDaperture place for pre loaded patched balls for quick loading while hunting or whatever.
    If you are one of the slicker is quicker people you would probably lose a lot of that lube into the wood.
    On the other hand. that System would certainly tie into my Dry Patch Lube System.
    Dutch

5. Nov 11, 2019 #45

Dr5x

Dr5x

Dr5x

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

The important part of the patch around the "Belt" of the ball. tight enough to stay in place during the firing process. We do NOT want any of the shooting patch to be in front of the ball which would very likely deflect the ball from its intended path.

Dutch

6. Nov 11, 2019 #46

Rich

Rich

Rich

40 cal - b

Any patch above the ball does nothing. Waste of material. If you chose to cut, do what 45man does. Its all you need. Ball below the muzzle end, trim, make smoke, shoot 50 to the other guys 45 :)

7. Nov 11, 2019 #47

MrMackc

MrMackc

MrMackc

32 Cal

IMG_0194.JPG If I remember right back when I loaded this 50 cal. loading block I used lubriplate waterpump grease. Typically loaded this way they ram down and shoot fine for several months.
    IMG_0194.JPG

8. Nov 12, 2019 #48

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Maybe I'm cutting a might too big a patch??? I guess I fear that too short a patch might get lopsided as I push it down the barrel. Maybe I'll do some testing this winter and see just how short I can cut my patches. I find almost all of them where I shoot, so if they start getting lopsided I will see the change in the shape of the spent patch. . . . . Thanks Dutch!

9. Nov 12, 2019 #49

Mark Herman

Mark Herman

Mark Herman

40 cal - b

Sean,
    Find a short piece of barrel, 3"-4", so you can actually push the patched ball throu and see how your loader works on the patches.

10. Nov 12, 2019 #50

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

Grenadier1758

58 Cal.

In a hunting situation, the excess patch has very little adverse effect on accuracy. Square, oversize or cut at the muzzle, you are good in the hunting field.

11. Nov 12, 2019 #51

MrMackc

MrMackc

MrMackc

32 Cal

Mark, finding a short piece of barrel would be a problem in many places, just load up and practice for real. Some times we even have a hard time finding a place to practice shooting. Maybe we should just be thankful for what we have.

12. Nov 12, 2019 #52

Pete G

Pete G

Pete G

50 Cal.

No discernable difference...

13. Nov 12, 2019 #53

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Too much patch over top the ball CAN be a big problem. I once pushed the ball too far into the muzzle before trimming the patch, and the belled, brass-tip on my steel ramrod (.58 Harpers Ferry) got into the patch material. Shoved home just fine, but the ramrod was then wedged against the bore by the surrounding patch. Could not withdraw the ramrod.

Only after marring the brass with (padded) Vise-grips, did I learn that I could have used a boot lace tightly wrapped around the rod, to pull it out. That was long before the MLF.

Richard/Grumpa

Draft saved Draft deleted