• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Quick Load Accuratizer (QLA)....can you load patched round ball without issue?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be if your patches are on the small side. If so they may get off to one side of the ball when seating with the ram rod. My .50 caliber round ball barrel for my Renegade has a QLA. I use patches pre-cut & sized for 58 caliber balls and have no problem with off set patches. If you cut at the muzzle you may find it difficult to hole the patch material while cutting without pulling the ball back out of the barrel.

I have a .50 TC Hawken with QLA and like it. I load a .490 ball with an .012 patch cut from a strip at the muzzle. The fit is a firm thumb press to flush. The ball will not slip or rotate. I use a short starter to get the ball on its way into the rifling. The rifle with this combination is very accurate. I realize others may have strong negative opinions about QLA but it works well for me.

So where can I find the material for making my own patches or .58 caliber pre-lubed patches? I looked on TOTW without finding anything right away.

So where can I find the material for making my own patches or .58 caliber pre-lubed patches? I looked on TOTW without finding anything right away.
I’ve ordered from BurlapFabric and BigDuckCanvas in the past. Just got 2 yards x 60” wide each of ticking and 10 oz canvas from BurlapFabric for less than $20 plus shipping (other items were ordered so not sure of exact shipping). The ticking is .015” thick, .012” compressed, and the canvas is .022”, .0165” compressed, at least the way I measure it.
1595100371874.jpeg

Most fabric stores will have pillow and mattress ticking. Art stores will have canvas.

JoAnn's Fabrics has pillow ticking, mattress ticking, cotton drill cloth, denim and several weights of canvas. Since the lubrication of prelubed patches can cause deterioration of the material over time, I don't recommend prelubed patches unless its a few seconds before cutting a the muzzle.

Once you have your material, wash it several times to eliminate the sizing (starch). For a 58 caliber patch, cut the material into 1 1/2" wide strips, then into 1 1/2" squares. Square patches will work as well as round patches.

There's lots of patch threads on this forum.

Well that is neat. There is a JoAnn's Fabrics fairly close.....I'll head over there next time I go that way. I can lube with TC Bore Butter, correct?

How should I wash it? Detergent and washer?

Take a micrometer or calipers with and make sure you get 100% cotton. I wash what get twice, once with laundry soap of choice, once with just hot water, no softener. You want to remove the sizing or what ever it is on the material as it seems to cause it not to absorb your lube (or spit) as easily. I then dry on high. One load with the material I mentioned earlier and I have two different thicknesses of patch material 5’ x 6’ each. Will tear into strips or cut into squares as needed. Lasts a while.

T/C Bore Butter is what I've used for roughly 30 years in my T/C .50 cal. Renegade. I can get 16 - 18 shots without swabbing with little effect on accuracy though I do get an occasional flyer which I hear is normal for ML's. I also coat the bore with Bore Butter after cleaning at the end of a shooting session.

T/C Bore Butter is what I've used for roughly 30 years in my T/C .50 cal. Renegade. I can get 16 - 18 shots without swabbing with little effect on accuracy though I do get an occasional flyer which I hear is normal for ML's. I also coat the bore with Bore Butter after cleaning at the end of a shooting session.
An occasional flyer is NOT normal for a muzzleloader in my experience. There is a reason for the ‘flyer’ you are experiencing.

Question; Would QLA (Quick Load Accuratizer) feature in T/C barrels be the same or something like coning the barrel?
No. I had QLA that was apparently off center with the bore and it created accuracy problems. Coning, if done correctly, will be concentric with the bore. Coning results in a tapered bore at the muzzle. QLA is a straight counterbore at the muzzle.

No. I had QLA that was apparently off center with the bore and it created accuracy problems. Coning, if done correctly, will be concentric with the bore. Coning results in a tapered bore at the muzzle. QLA is a straight counterbore at the muzzle.
I didn't know that was what QLA is. I thought it was more like coning too. Counterbored would be a better description.

use pure linen medium weight tight weave for patch material. avail. on the internet. glad to hear that that type of muzzle shoots patched round balls. it wont shoot paperpatched bullets and i ve cit off the part with no rifling and made them a normal muzzle for some that wanted to shoot paperpatched bullets. i would never ever have a rifle with that type of muzzle.

Back