Quick buckskin leggings question

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
I plan on making my first buckskin leggings out of german tan buckskin. Crazy crow sells a 12-14sf hide as their smallest size of the natural colored german tan.

Would I be able to get two eastern style leggings from a 12-14sf hide?
I wish they had a smaller size of german tan so I could just buy two hides instead. But hopefully the 12-14sf would work.
NWT Woodsman

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
No. There is no where near ten sq feet in a ‘ten foot hide. The way it’s measured is a square as wide is the hide is at its widest and as long as it is at its longest. A ten foot hide probably doesn’t have six sq feet in it.
You will have waste off of it unless your making western style and you have the fringe. Or in an eastern style and you put the tabs on the side. But you will have plenty of stuff for little projects like a fire kit, tobacco pouch ect.
You need two hides.

Last edited:

Nyckname

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
The old style device for measuring the size of leathers had a series of wheels spaced an inch apart. Those would measure a series of rectangles one inch wide by the length of the part running under it. The square inch measurements would be added together and divided by 144, and rounded off to a quarter foot. They catch every little worthless bit hanging off of the edge. An old joke among Tandy Leather managers was, "Don't worry, I won't charge you for the holes", because the wheels quit turning when a void was passing.

I wouldn't be surprised if new machines measure leather by taking pictures and letting computers do it.

Reaction score
Ok, im wondering would wool broadcloth or bucksin be cooler for leggings in the humid summer. I have a pair of dark blue wool blanket leggings I made a while back, but feel I would need something a little less thick.
NWT Woodsman

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Indians bought wool as soon as they could. And made woolen leggings as quick as they could. People praise braintanned leather as the greatest of all human inventions... Bronx cheer.
All you need is a dead deer and in a couple of days you have soft tough wind proof water resistant leather. But it’s hot when it’s hot, cold when it’s cold and much like nose mucus when wet.
Wool broad cloth is tough, but not as tough as leather. However it breaths when it’s hot, warm when it’s cold and not overly uncomfortable when wet.
Braintanned may help against snake bite, but in general isn’t much more protective then a tough wool.
Skin leggings are compleatly HC. However having worn leather while living in the early spring woods for a week or more I’m here to tell you I doubt most men would have chosen brain tanned if they could get their hands on wool.

Latest posts

Group Builder