• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Questions on my first black powder from NC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike28379

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am brand new to the forum and black powder in general. This probably isn't the best thread for my post but I know of no other. I've always been insanely preoccupied with the civil war Era firearms ...particularly percussion revolvers of the time and various "cowboy single action revolvers" ... being that I have a newborn and young family to look after I finally mustered up the funds to buy my first. (I wanted something that could be a home defense) as my petitie fiance isn't going to handle a 12 gauge well if someone if coming through the door.

What I settled on because is a cimarron Model P black powder .44 which is due to be delivered this week

The only problem is I can't find any info on the percussion caps I need, correct load or any other information pertaining to the correct loading procedure or ingredients of said load

I know I sound completely clueless because I indeed am. Any info I find only pertains to their cartridge firing model ps .....nothing about mine. Does anyone have any recommendations I'd sure appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Winston-Salem Mike. YouTube will also have some good videos.
But it is probably a #10 cap with 20 grain charge of powder.

Welcome! You will need .454 round ball ammo. FFFg black powder if you can get it. If not, pyrodex or 777. 20 grains of BP would be a good starting load and you can work up from there. I think felt wads over the powder work best which you can purchase or later on make for yourself. I don't know what nipples are coming out of Italy right now. # 10 caps may fit, #11's will fit. If 11's are too big you can pinch them down a little. I think it is best to replace the nipples with either slixshot nipples or those from Track of the Wolf which will take #11's. The caps will be the most difficult to find right now. You will have to search around. Maybe a local store that has muzzleloading supplies will have them. If you get them online you will have to pay a hefty hazmat fee. Beware of scam sites. And now, just MPO...if a gun is to be used for self defense, it needs to be 100% reliable. You are betting your life on it. You don't get that reliability out of a BP revolver. Just something to consider. Others may disagree.

Howdy again. I'm not really familiar with the Cimarron Model P. But if you have some calipers handy measure the mouth of the chambers . A .451 lead ball may work as well, but I agree with Ed C.that you can't go too wrong with the .454 if its soft lead.

Last edited:
Welcome from Elkin NC.
I thought a Cimarron Model P was a replica of a colt SAA.

Jack

Totally agree with Ed C. I would not want a C&B revolver as a self defense gun and for the exact reasons that he stated. Plus as you are about to find out there is considerably more expense involved than just the purchase of the firearm.

There are plenty of inexpensive pump shotguns available nowadays I would opt for something along those lines.

Anyway, welcome to a great forum…enjoy your stay.

Welcome aboard Mike.

That is a great pistol and good choice. I suggest changing the nipples to Slixshots that will accept both 10 and 11 sized caps. You will need a cylinder loader for it since the 1873 doesn’t have a rammer.
If you will be using for home defense I suggest not using a wad under the ball. The lube in the wad may soak into the powder from extended loading times and cause misfires. You can use the wads when target shooting to keep the fowling soft. If your pistol has a transfer bar then load 6 if not load 5 and keep the empty chamber under the hammer. I recommend .454 size ball so you get a thin lead ring shaved off after seating which insures a tight fit in the cylinder chamber. You do not want the firing pin on a live primer, this prevents accidental discharging. There are lots of videos on YouTube to familiarize yourself with your pistol.

Welcome aboard Mike.

That is a great pistol and good choice. I suggest changing the nipples to Slixshots that will accept both 10 and 11 sized caps. You will need a cylinder loader for it since the 1873 doesn’t have a rammer.
If you will be using for home defense I suggest not using a wad under the ball. The lube in the wad may soak into the powder from extended loading times and cause misfires. You can use the wads when target shooting to keep the fowling soft. If your pistol has a transfer bar then load 6 if not load 5 and keep the empty chamber under the hammer. I recommend .454 size ball so you get a thin lead ring shaved off after seating which insures a tight fit in the cylinder chamber. You do not want the firing pin on a live primer, this prevents accidental discharging. There are lots of videos on YouTube to familiarize yourself with your pistol.
That's exactly the type of information I was seeking ....thank you sir

Back