• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions on a rifle I saw for sale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one I got about 6 months ago at a local gun shop in better condition for $500 out the door and I really like it .It is a great shooter . If the bore is good you could always have it shortened and help the balance if you find it heavy and get the rust area removed at the same time. Also they are listed on Gun Broker pretty often so you can look for another if you not in a rush.

I think I was at this store in Fenton a few years ago, don't remember seeing any muzzle loading stuff at all. It's basically a suburb of ST Louis and everything was city priced but I digress, too much for that gun, hold off for a better deal.

I have a few questions to ask about a rifle I found on one of the guns sales sites. It is a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle in .50 caliber and is Flintlock. The rifle looks to have a good stock and ramrod as well as a good bore. However, the barrel has rust about 2 inches from the muzzle across the entire barrel in a solid band measuring about 1.5~2 inches. The area around the touchhole also has significant powder corrosion from ignition which has removed bluing and the frizzen is well worn in from years of being struck. That all being said the seller wants $800.00 for the rifle. Is this too much for one of these rifles, I would presume this rifle was a production gun as I see them mentioned on here often. Is this rifle worth what the seller is asking or should I just wait for a contemporary build to pop up for the same price. The rifle looks nice but would hate to overpay for something worth only half of what I bought it for when I could spend a bit more for a lot more. Also, if anyone knows a good value for rifles like this could you share your input. I highly doubt the seller would back down on the price, but I would definitely wait to see if the price drops to something I could verify as reasonable. Thanks to all who reply, I would like to make this my first flintlock rifle as I only have percussion.
Way too pricey!:(

Sold my Dixie flint SMR a few weeks ago for $500 with pitting inside & out, dinged up stock, and knowledge Dixie no longer has parts. It shot OK. I could have kissed whoever bought it. It was a fun gun, but issues are issues. $800 will buy a better gun around here.

Back