• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Questions for Whitworth and Volunteer owners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re in Australia:
1) hand file a 50cal jag or have a simple one like this made.
731E7D25-472D-4609-A7BB-C670C29EE72C.jpeg

2) if you’re a magnum load 100gr + type guy, you’re going to burn out any nipple. If you’re like the originals and stay in the 75 to 90gr powder charge - platinum will last a long time.

3) yes, you can get a platinum custom nipple with a 5/16-18 bottom and a #11 top. Contact Buffalo Arms. If not, PM me.

4) yes, depends on your desire and how accurate you wish to shoot.

5) this deep cavity Whitworth bullet has shot well in many deep rifled guns, Whitworth, Henry, Kerr and Parker Hale Whitworth’s & Volunteers.
Fired round, recovered hex.
18F1B046-D25A-42D6-ABF3-290B4A524F48.jpeg

A7677A2E-9209-4EAC-A752-DCB03DAE9182.jpeg

6) hex wad depends on bullet base. No wad used with the above bullet.

Good luck

If you’re in Australia:
1) hand file a 50cal jag or have a simple one like this made.
View attachment 68241

2) if you’re a magnum load 100gr + type guy, you’re going to burn out any nipple. If you’re like the originals and stay in the 75 to 90gr powder charge - platinum will last a long time.

3) yes, you can get a platinum custom nipple with a 5/16-18 bottom and a #11 top. Contact Buffalo Arms. If not, PM me.

4) yes, depends on your desire and how accurate you wish to shoot.

5) this deep cavity Whitworth bullet has shot well in many deep rifled guns, Whitworth, Henry, Kerr and Parker Hale Whitworth’s & Volunteers.
Fired round, recovered hex.
View attachment 68243

View attachment 68244

6) hex wad depends on bullet base. No wad used with the above bullet.

Good luck
Thank you for your help. That’s awesome information!

With all due respect to 52bore, the nipple thread will be 5/16x20 (8x1.25) if you are purchasing either a Pedersoli built Whitworth or Volunteer rifle. Pedersoli dropped the 5/16x18 nipple while building Navy Arms, Parker Hale Whitworth and just before starting their own line of Whitworth. I was told this by Dixie Gun works when I was trying to get the proper nipple for my Navy Arms, Pedersoli built Parker Hale. Advertised as 5/16x18 but was really 5/16x20 (8x1.25)
Kno-ie

Since my question is related to the previous ones in this thread, I’ll continue on here instead of starting another.

This question is about projectiles.

If a close fitting lubricated lead bullet is used (not paper patched) does leading become a problem?
Related to the above question… what size bore brush would be effective at cleaning the hexagonal corners? I was thinking a .50 cal would be better than a .45

How much resizing is too much(detrimental)? If I cast a .457 or .459 slug and push it through a .451 or .448 die, it seems like quite a lot structural integrity is being changed. Wouldn’t it be better to cast to a size as close as possible to the intended resize?

Widows Son,
As you speculate, the sizing from 457/459 does change the structure of the bullet. I preformed this process a few years back by sizing down a 459 projectile to 449. It required using three sizing dies, 454, 451 and a 449. At each sizing the bullet lost grease carrying capacity and it damaged the head when using a Lyman style sizer and the base using a push through and in the end it preformed very badly. I thought it to be a waist of time. You are correct, it's better to start with a projectile closer to your needs

As far as a bore brush is concerned for the Hexagonal bore I'd start with a 45 cal brush first and one that the wire center loops through it's screw base and not one of those that are pressed into the screw base. Two things to keep in mind with a brush is one when it is pushed down the bore the brissels push back towards the muzzle thus giving one a locking effect when trying to pull it back out. This can cause the brush to pull out of the screw base if it is a pressed in style.

The only leading I've found with a grease bullet was with my Volunteer rifle which is a completely different style of rifling and it was corrected by going to a larger felt wad .45 to .50. I feel the larger wad stopped the gas cutting of the base of the projectile. I have carried that thought over to my Whitworth and use the .50 wad.

Hope this helps, Kno-ie

I have a Parker-Hale Volunteer rifle, all I've used is the hardened stainless #11 nipple from Track of the Wolf

I haven't fired it a lot, it's kinda on the back burner waiting for me to get around to putting a Malcolm scope on it.

Thanks Kno-ie.
In Australia the Pedersoli importer/distributor wants $AU 3685.00 for a new whitworth. Thats over $US 2970 at the current exchange rate. Then one must buy a vernier sight and sight mount adapter, a better front sight, a bullet mold etc....
A new Pedersoli Volunteer is $AU 3355 (about $US 2600) but it comes with a vernier sight.

Whilst I support anyone’s ability to make an honest living, and there are financial overheads to recover, still I think those are really expensive prices to pay. Yes, they are excellent quality and will last generations if cared for, but it’s still a heap of dosh to come up with. As I said, there aren’t but a handful of either model in the whole country and they come up for sale about as frequently as one finds rocking-horse poop.

Thats why I’m pestering people with these questions. I know I want one but it’s a major purpose.
Many thanks
Just read your post. Info may be irrelevant a year later! I live in NSW and have a Pedersoli Volunteer. By no means am I an expert, more a keen enthusiast. This rifle from a good rest on a calm day can hit a plough disc bout 16 inches diameter at 600m quite regularly. Great rifle. Any questions about it send me a message, there is a certain routinr that works. Bullets I use are from pedersolis mould pushed through hand sizer and are pure ( ish) lead from old roof flashing. 75 grains wano ffg suits this rifle so far. Cheers

Back