• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Questions about the Thompson Center Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did all the .50 cal versions of these guns have 13/16s" barrels? Or were the newer models 1" ? Can anyone tell me the weight of these guns? Lastly what should I expect to pay for a mint condition example?

15/16 was the .50 Hawken but 1" available later on. Mine is 8.5 lbs. Value is all over the place but a standard model older version excellent cond. is going for south of 5 bills, more recent made you can usually find for less. The more hard to find variants are going to be a lot more depending on condition with the caveat that TC didn't do much in the way of record keeping so it's mainly up to the knowledge base of the buyer.

Did all the .50 cal versions of these guns have 13/16s" barrels? Or were the newer models 1" ? Can anyone tell me the weight of these guns? Lastly what should I expect to pay for a mint condition example?
15/16 was the .50 Hawken but 1" available later on.
I’m not so sure about TC making 1” Hawkens only ‘later on’. I have a 54 cal 1” barreled one I purchased new about 1980, plus a couple of earlier four digit serial number 1” examples.

Last edited:
I’m not so sure about TC making 1” Hawkens only ‘later on’. I have a 54 cal 1” barreled one I purchased new about 1980, plus a couple of earlier four digit serial number 1” examples.
Ditto. I bought a 1" 54 from a guy in 1985. He had owned it for a good long time then.

If the early one has a good bore and isn’t beat up I’d go that route. If you are going to use it the NIB won’t be the first time you shoot it. $300 buys a lot of other stuff or maybe even another gun.

You have to take a good look down the bore of any used TC, some were taken well care of, from what I have seen for sale on eBay most were not.

When the seller says "shiny bore" it doesn't mean much. A clean bore with some pitting will look shiny if it has been cleaned and oiled, only a bore camera will tell you what is really going on.

If you can find an older gun that was taken care of, I would buy it before I dropped the extra cash on a NOS. TCs quality really dropped in their later guns. I bought a couple of them and was disappointed, one of the locks on a new in the box one I bought had the lock held in place with hot melt glue.

TC Hawken started 1970 so "later on" would be 74ish or thereabouts, yep later on they made 1" barrels and then there was their custom shop Fox Ridge Outfitters that made lots of barrel options. Even so the most commonly encountered .50 Hawkens are 15/16".

New, the Hawken sold for more than the Renegade. The main differences are the Hawken has a crescent brass butt plate, trigger guard, nose cap and patch box, while the Renegade parts are steel, with a shotgun style butt plate, and has no patch box or nose cap.

TC Hawken started 1970 so "later on" would be 74ish or thereabouts, yep later on they made 1" barrels and then there was their custom shop Fox Ridge Outfitters that made lots of barrel options. Even so the most commonly encountered .50 Hawkens are 15/16".
‘Later on’ must be a relative term. I have what I considered an early 1” TC 54 caliber Hawken with a serial number of 27##. Learned something new I guess, and will no longer call a TC Hawkens with a serial number above 1000 ‘ an early’ TC. Or should the cutoff be 100? There is also a photograph around somewhere dated 1971 of my uncle (who gave me the gun) with the gun and a deer he took with it. Only mention this because I used the photograph to put an approximate date the gun.

Well the used, early one has a six digit serial number starting with 251. Early ’80s? No BP only warning. 3 screws on tang. I guess it’s not that early, but is that before the quality declined? The NIB one is I think early 1990s. 2 screws on tang, has warning on barrel. I've pretty much decided on the early one, waiting on bore photo, though I agree it probably won’t tell me much. The gun looks well cared for externally, a few minor marks on the stock, but nice wood, bluing excellent, except on the flat around the muzzle crown.

Well the used, early one has a six digit serial number starting with 251. Early ’80s? No BP only warning. 3 screws on tang. I guess it’s not that early, but is that before the quality declined? The NIB one is I think early 1990s. 2 screws on tang, has warning on barrel. I've pretty much decided on the early one, waiting on bore photo, though I agree it probably won’t tell me much. The gun looks well cared for externally, a few minor marks on the stock, but nice wood, bluing excellent, except on the flat around the muzzle crown.
Photographs from a borescope will tell you most everything you need to know about the bore. With the stock, check to see if there’s a crack running through or near the lock bolt. Not a deal killer if there, but something to bring to the sellers attention when you are figuring out a price. Fairly easy repair if it’s there. TC used a bolt through tang, stock and trigger plate that was threaded into the trigger guard to minimize the chance of the crack occurring on later production.

A $300 premium for NIB is pricey. If the bore on the used one was trash it would cost about $150 for a rebore….. Any chance of a 3 day no shoot or disassembly inspection?

It is difficult to suggest one over the other without seeing or handling the guns. You haven’t posted photographs or stated actual asking prices.

‘Later on’ must be a relative term. I have what I considered an early 1” TC 54 caliber Hawken with a serial number of 27##. Learned something new I guess, and will no longer call a TC Hawkens with a serial number above 1000 ‘ an early’ TC. Or should the cutoff be 100? There is also a photograph around somewhere dated 1971 of my uncle (who gave me the gun) with the gun and a deer he took with it. Only mention this because I used the photograph to put an approximate date the gun.
Yep the 54's were 1" but the post was about a 50.

Back