• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions about shot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second Old Timer's advise. The cushion wad is nothing but trouble, seems to punch a hole in the pattern. An over powder wad all you want behind the shot, and an overshot card over the shot. That's the first change to make.

Brown Bear (haven't seen him post in years, but he was very knowledgeable) got his best results with F. I use FF, but generally 68-70 grains and 3/4 to a heavy 1 ounce load. Knocks pigeons, grouse, or pheasants right down, as long as you hit them. If you have an older Pedersoli, one of the beautiful light ones, 80 grains is a lot, and 1 1/4 ounce will be painful to shoot, you'll develop a flinch, and the load won't matter cause you won't hit anything. (Keep in mind that there are a number of approaches that work more than well enough.)

I second Old Timer's advise. The cushion wad is nothing but trouble, seems to punch a hole in the pattern. An over powder wad all you want behind the shot, and an overshot card over the shot. That's the first change to make.

Brown Bear (haven't seen him post in years, but he was very knowledgeable) got his best results with F. I use FF, but generally 68-70 grains and 3/4 to a heavy 1 ounce load. Knocks pigeons, grouse, or pheasants right down, as long as you hit them. If you have an older Pedersoli, one of the beautiful light ones, 80 grains is a lot, and 1 1/4 ounce will be painful to shoot, you'll develop a flinch, and the load won't matter cause you won't hit anything. (Keep in mind that there are a number of approaches that work more than well enough.)
Sorry to tell you this, but, our dear friend Brown Bear is no longer with us. He was a wealth of information and good advise, I miss his posts.

I'm interested in your shooting board. I have not a clue what homasote backers are? Can you elaborate sir?
Sorry For the late reply I just saw this. At our club we use target frames that are 2x2 foot square and we cover it with a piece of homasote to staple targets to
The homasote comes from home depot it sells in 4x8 foot sheets we cut it up from there
And screw it to the frames

Back