• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions about all the knives and axes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will look into a Ft. Miegs Hatchet. Yea I definitely didnt intend on sparking a war on the forum... I guess i started a small skirmish in this thread. Oops...
As said earlier, the Fort Miegs axe provenance is shakey at best. I don't get the impression that something like this was all that common...
It is also really tiny. Check it out, but keep in mind what you may want or need to use it for. How useful is an axe that size?

Will look into a Ft. Miegs Hatchet. Yea I definitely didnt intend on sparking a war on the forum... I guess i started a small skirmish in this thread. Oops...
Sparked a war? Nah! You ain't seen nothin' yet.....lol Stick around and you'll get to see a bunch of old farts gettin' snippy with other on a regular basis.

This is what I carry, from Track of the Wolf...Good luck!!!
IMG_5068.jpeg

So I am diving into muzzleloading. I want to go all in. I am right now in the midst of ordering either a .54 Woodsrunner or a .54 colonial from Kibler. I however want some period correct blades to go with the rifle. I see on the forum there are all sorts of blades. Rifleman's Knife, Scalping Knife, Belt Knife, Camp Knife, Patch Knife and Skinner Knife. For axes I see there are Tomahawks, Belt Axes, Camp Axes and specific army axes and various hatchets. Now If I were to best represent a long hunter between 1750 and 1780 which of these blades would I carry ? I know this seems like a silly question but I am confused by all the different blades.

My advice is dont "dive in" slow down and go step at a time, consider what historical impression holds your interest; F&I War, Eastern Long Hunter; Mountain Man etc.

Give priority to your Possible bag and its contents, Patch Knife, then period clothing including Head wear.

I recommend Mark Bakers 2 volumes of "A Pilgrims Journey" for a good research beginning, whatever you choose get it right first time around, dont waste your hard earned $$ and time with impulsive buying.

Theres a tidal wave of good valid advice on this forum, use it to search widely and make notes if it suits the direction you want to go.

All the best in the journey ahead, embrace it and let it enrich your life.

There were sort of two different "hatchets" the round eye tomahawk, the kind folks throw at targets. That was definitely a pattern. If a soldier had a rifle without a bayonet lug he would often carry one of these throwing tomahawks. The hawk could snag a musket with a bayonet. The other style was a small, blocky hatchet with a poll and was more suitable for camping- driving in a tent peg, etc.
The tomahawks were often stuck in a belt diagonally across the small of your back. The hatchets had short handles and were more often carried in some type of sheath. I believe there is a painting of Daniel Boone with one of these short handle, block head hatchets and a loop on his belt through which the hatchet handle ran, if I recall the blade was exposed.

Crazy Crow too.
I have a pinned knife from crazy crow and close to same knife from Townsend
Blade shape is incorrect on both, but I’m not enough of a knife guy to see the difference easily
Knifes back in the day had boxwood handles, a man might replace it, but except for a few fancy fighting knifes, knifes were plain tools, comparable to mallets.
So the handle on both these guys is also incorrect
The tangs in early knifes tended to be half tang.
So these two guys are correct except for the blade,handle and tang
Most knifes tended to be simple and about this length. And for me they are ‘close enough’
That’s not everyone’s standard
Now I’m not knocking Townsend, who is one of the best, and personally I think Jon is a star of the living history world. Back when they were a candle lantern company they were trying to offer as close as economical HC stuff ‘over the counter’
That said I can’t tell a dimes worth of difference between these two knifes. One home made and one from India
The Indians smooth blade is in fact more correct than Townsend hammered look.
Both got wicked sharp and hold an edge.
E83706B7-3868-465C-9F6B-1DDDF858EAF0.jpeg

My advice is dont "dive in" slow down and go step at a time, consider what historical impression holds your interest
Yup, good thinking...
Theres a tidal wave of good valid advice on this forum, use it to search widely and....
and ask questions. Question what advice you've gotten, research it more ones self, cross reference it.
There is also a tidal wave of bad advice and rehashing of old advice, myths, and false legacy.

Back