• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Questions about all the knives and axes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forum member Tallpine has been making knives for 30 years. He is both a meticulous researcher and thorough artisan. I currently have four of his knives plus a hawk. And I have given a couple as gifts. Each item he has made for me has been a joy to receive and is in my list of most treasured possessions.

Thought I personally I have not handled any of Tallpines knifes but as another Bladesmith I can tell by just by the pictures that his products are quality. I would say it would be worth watching for one to come up in the classifieds or commissioning one from him.

The wrap around eye is a correct hawk, but I prefer a hammer polled tomahawk. The wrapped eye type axe is lousy at pounding anything. Should you need to drive a stake or crack open nuts, the hammer poll type tomahawk is a much, much better tool. Mark Baker had written a story about his early years, the wrap eye tomahawk failed him miserably.
If you want to see an example of that hammer poll type, the Cold Steel trail hawk is a very good tool, takes a great edge and will do anything you want it to do. $25.95 at the KnifeCenter online. That won't break the bank and that hawk will last you your lifetime or until you choose something different. As for knives ..... There are alot of choices. Do some research before you spend anything !!. Look at Hershel House and the Woodbury style knife. That style is 18th century correct. Do a search for the knives of Joe Seabolt ..... again ... all are historically accurate. Do a search for the knives of Wick Ellerbe who is a list member here and can guide you in the right direction..... and do a search of the knives of Ken Hamilton. This will give you over a hundred selections of high quality knives that are all accurate and will do everything you want them do in the woods or on the trail. Avoid all knives made by the guy Pak I. Stan. Research is your best friend here and will help you make a knife selection you will be proud to carry in your belt or sash.
Ohio Rusty >>

Last edited:
guys...this is an original knife out of an old collection in texas...straight blade with sharpened false edge...11 1/2 inch blade...straight grind...very sharp still...no median ridge so great for cutting..handle appears rosewood...sheath appears buffalo or bull hide with strange little star rivets....fred
IMG_4115.JPG

guys...this is an original knife out of an old collection in texas...straight blade with sharpened false edge...11 1/2 inch blade...straight grind...very sharp still...no median ridge so great for cutting..handle appears rosewood...sheath appears buffalo or bull hide with strange little star rivets....fredView attachment 216991
Beautiful! Knife? It is half way to a cutlass!

Latest posts

Back