• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Question reguarding vent liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a conversion on a Hatfield .50 perc. to flintlock using L&R lock and 5/16x24 liner. I noticed when I removed the drum that it extended about an 1/8" into the barrel and the liner does the same so you could not clean the breach face without removing the liner. The question I have is, should I file the liner till it 's flush (on the inside) or leave it? I could unscrew it a bit or remove to clean.

I had the same situation on my Cliff Jackson custom when I converted it.
Since the removed drum was 3/8-16 thread there is no liner made for that. I used a black allen set screw with a hex drive - drilled it with a 1/16" and filed both top and bottom until with was right on the money. If you do file the bottom, check the inside taper and make sure it doesn't need some touching up.

I think the protruding liner should be filed flush with the bore. The same is true of the protruding part of a drum on a percussion rifle. However, it appears there are a lot of builders out there who don't bother. The protruding drum may affect ignition, as @Art Caputo described, but it definitely affects your ability to clean the breech face, and to make matters worse, it creates a fouling trap.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

One thing is if you leave it as is you won`t have any issues with pushing a dry ball too far in as not to be able to get powder behind it to shoot it out.

If you get into the situation observed by @Tasbay, there will still be room for a few grains of powder to be inserrted into the touch hole lineer or the drum. That small amount of powder may be enough to shoot the ball out. At least the ball will be moved up a bit and more powder can be added to ensure that the second shot will send the dry ball down range. It is far better to have the liner or drum threads flush with the bore to keep the breech face clean.

Back